Should we put Hardware cloth floor of RUN???

The Inspired Mom

In the Brooder
May 11, 2020
Hi there, building our coop right now. (Just posted on coop thread).

We are trying to decide if the run should have hardware cloth on floor then put 6” of dirt etc on top or just the apron on outside of run?

Thanks bunches!

Attachments

• EAF2B9BF-9A98-44ED-B2DF-14C2E9D8BC5F.jpeg
    EAF2B9BF-9A98-44ED-B2DF-14C2E9D8BC5F.jpeg
    884.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 03A6F31A-36A9-4C0B-A289-83DA886203BD.jpeg
    03A6F31A-36A9-4C0B-A289-83DA886203BD.jpeg
    926.2 KB · Views: 28
Let me clarify. My plan- which I have NOT carried out - is to put my natural clay soil mounded on top of hardware cloth and packed down. Effectively forming a new ground level. So that I clean on top of normal clay ground - that secretly has hardware cloth under it.
I did effectively raise the ground of my run by 7-8 inches by putting clay in it. I live in a swampy area so now everything around the run floods but the run does not.

That was our concern....hmmm so do you think if it’s down 6” under dirt it would be fine? I wouldn’t want it just loosely laying in there bc of chickens hurting themselves plus we will walk in there some.
Honestly, I'm not sure. For predator proofing I aproned my hardware cloth out. It's worked great.

I’m going to live vicariously through you and say yes please!! I sooo wish I had. Between my girls digging dirt baths and me worrying about coyotes digging underneath it bothers me all the time that the bottom isn’t secure.

Thanks for the tip! We live on a mountain so we see deer, black bear, tons of squirrels, and I am concerned of coyotes and foxes trying to get in the chicken run. I wonder if I can do deep litter method in the run? I read somewhere you can actually put leaves & the chickens will compost it?! Not sure what all that means yet. Lol. My husband is building nesting boxes now and I’m beyond excited!!! Thanks!!!

I'm thinking of doing the same thing as in the OP or use paving slabs but will probably have more like 8" of soil on top of it? Which I thought would be OK as I've never known of a chicken dig anywhere near that deep from just foraging but I could be wrong?

Back
Top Bottom