Should you give vitamins to prevent wry neck in emu chicks?

Tclloyd0812

Crowing
Mar 13, 2021
Ozark Mountain Foothills of Arkansas
Hello, I am picking up my emu chicks next week and would like to know whether or not to give vitamins to them to prevent things like wry neck. I've seen on an emu group it is a pretty common thing and I want to be prepared. I have heard people treat wry neck with poly vi sol and selenium and vitamin b gel I believe. Could this be given to them when I get them at 6 weeks old to prevent wry neck from occurring and giving them their vitamins?
Also, if one is to contract coccidiosis can they be treated with corid like chicks can?
I am asking these questions to prepare myself for the emu chicks. I've raised all kinds of birds but no emus. Any added advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Yep, usually we add vitamins of some kind to their water for at least the first few weeks. I like to use poultru Nutri-Drench. Some people like to use Rooster Booster, either works.

I've never had an emu chick get coccidiosis.

Yep, usually we add vitamins of some kind to their water for at least the first few weeks. I like to use poultru Nutri-Drench. Some people like to use Rooster Booster, either works.

I've never had an emu chick get coccidiosis.
Awesome, I use nutridrench all the time so thats great! And thank you for the response and info!

Yes, use something like Rooster Booster, it has everything in it that your emu will need. In the UK Vetarks BSP drops are good, in the water. Vitamin B complex, Vitamin E and Selenium are the most vital vitamins as this stage.
In giving vitamins you are also helping your emu avoid splayed legs as well as Wry Neck.

Both Wry neck and Splayed legs are more easily avoided if the parent birds have had excellent nutritian before and during breeding season.

I usually use 1 dropper full of ND to a quart of water....something like 5ml to a quart. If using larger waterers, measure accordingly. I make sure it's changed daily, I also have plain fresh water available for the chicks at the same time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom