Shouldn't it be blue/green?

I bought 11 one day old females and 1 cockerel, knowing that eventually I would have to get down to only 8 chickens. Out of the 3 EE's in the group 2 laid dirty army-green eggs and the other a pretty light green egg. The 2 with dirty green eggs didn't make the cut. (But the crock pot chicken and dumplings were oh so good.) Next time I'm going to get a few true Americanuas from a breeder so that I can have blue eggs.

And to the person who chastized me the last time I mentioned this, get over it. They had a better life than the store bought chickens you eat.

I was just looking at the McMurry web site and this is what they have about thier EEs.
"Adults are of medium size with pea combs and our breeding stock is selected for their ability to produce colored eggs. " I hope that is true. That's where I got mine. Has anyone else ordered EEs from them that did not lay colored eggs?

A lot of hatchery EEs will lay blue/green eggs, but they're more likely to lay pink/tan than ones that you would get from a "breeder." I have a couple EEs that lay pink/cream eggs, but I don't sell those as EE eggs...I eat them. I only sell the blue/green eggs as EE eggs and my roo came from a blue egg (and I know he throws the gene b/c his offspring with a Silkie lays green eggs), so all the offspring will lay blue/green.

I have 4 25 week old EE pullets and only two have started laying. One lays a pretty blue green egg and the other one a ugly army greenish eggs. I have 20 6 week olds and sure hope I get a few blue egg layers.

My hatchery EE's are usually green/olive green. But each line is different. When they are sold as "colored" egg layers, that means anything other than white basically.

Just an excuse to get more hens.

So - the OP is disappointed due to her beige eggs, and some of the other posters are disappointed about the "army green" eggs -
I have 7 hatchery "ameraucanas" (EEs) - not only are they slow, with only 3 laying at 25 weeks, but the first two to start gave me beige eggs too.
BUT here's the thing I think - they do that so, like me, you will be delighted with your army green egg like I was last night when I got my first green egg!
big_smile.png
It was beooootifull!

Same story here, my EE laid her first egg last week and it was a very light cream color, my young son was so disappointed! He had hoped she would lay green or maybe blue eggs. Oh well, she's a beautiful bird and we love her anyway!

i have 3 EE's only one lays a green egg, but i think its cute that their eggs seem to match their personality.... I have come to enjoy seeing my little creamy eggs, and my pinky tan ones just as much as the green ones!

Back
Top Bottom