Shouldn't it be blue/green?

Quote:
LOL I told my husband "Well, I guess we have to get another one" and let's just say he wasn't exactly receptive to the idea
hmm.png
. We really need to move out of the city so my dreams of have hundreds of beautiful birds can become a reality!

Quote:
Oh that's good
big_smile.png
, I'm glad she's a good bird. Unfortunately my EE is our least favorite chicken in the flock (not friendly AT ALL), so, basically, she's out of popularity points. She is pretty (pretty funny looking), so I guess she can stick around
idunno.gif
lol.

wow I am sort of surprised with how many people are getting tan eggs from their hatchery EE's it really would not be hard for them to selectively breed those out since they know that people are ordering for the egg color. I wonder what the actual percentage is???

I have one EE and she lays a really pretty green. I was disappointed with green, but now I feel lucky after all your stories.I really do want blue eggs, and am going to add to the flock next spring.

Quote:
I agree, why don't they do this??

One of my 2 EE's lays a tan egg. The other lays a deep green one. I got my girls from MyPetChicken. Sure would like to get some that lay blue or light green. May have to look into getting some from breeders next spring.

I have 6 EE's. So far I suspect one is laying tan colored eggs. Two olive green, one a pretty lighter green and one really lovely egg that is much more blue than green.

I have one EE and she lays gorgeous seafoam green eggs. But I would have loved her and been happy with her if she laid army green, cream or pink/tan eggs. A healthy and happy bird is the most important thing! They can't help what color eggs they lay.

I have an EE that just started laying sage green eggs at 28 weeks old. You can see the blue when you crack open the egg. Seems like she puts an initial layer of blue on the egg, then there's a faint "wash" of light brown that's not always even across the entire egg. The color combination makes it sage green.

I have another bird, a farm yard mutt that people here on BYC think looks like an EE, too... Anyway, her eggs are really nice & big, and they are a light tan or sometimes a blush-tan color. I was initially a tad disappointed in her egg color b/c it wasn't spectacular. But now, at this time of the year, I am really appreciating her ability to lay an egg nearly every day. She's a spirited, strong, & healthy girl and I love her presence in this flock!

There's a thread here on BYC, somewhere, about this. I have to look for it. Really interesting, with charts, for those who are curious about genetics of blue and blue/green eggs.

Here it is:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25421

Back
Top Bottom