Show me UGLY coops- where my peeps at?

Pics
I'm literally throwing together a makeshift coop, to be improved upon when weather gets better. I had a small playhouse I was modifying, but it got frustrating and wasn't big enough anyway (thanks chicken math, we have more than planned).

I love to get inspiration for DIY projects from seeing others (who doesn't) but seeing everyone else's gorgeous diy coops has me super bummed about mine so far.

Don't get me wrong, I never thought it was pretty! It is from entirely free and repurposed items except the hardware and hardware cloth (to be added still, along with the roof and half the walls).

I just need some camaraderie here! Who else has a super ugly coop, and/or mostly salvaged materials? Pics of mine so far will be below!

I'm literally throwing together a makeshift coop, to be improved upon when weather gets better. I had a small playhouse I was modifying, but it got frustrating and wasn't big enough anyway (thanks chicken math, we have more than planned).

I love to get inspiration for DIY projects from seeing others (who doesn't) but seeing everyone else's gorgeous diy coops has me super bummed about mine so far.

Don't get me wrong, I never thought it was pretty! It is from entirely free and repurposed items except the hardware and hardware cloth (to be added still, along with the roof and half the walls).

I just need some camaraderie here! Who else has a super ugly coop, and/or mostly salvaged materials? Pics of mine so far will be below!

Who needs pretty, my girls are happy with functional! MY kids and spouse built our coop in a weekend and it takes 4 people to move it around ( we finally settled on it's forever home) and it is enclosed from the weather and easy to clean. In the winter my girls live in luxury as their coop is surrounded on 3 sides by 8" foam panels wrapped in plastic bags from our wood pellets pallets! They also have a heat lamp under their house that adds heat to the floor bu they cannot get to it. We live in Wyoming so it is cold during the winter. Not a great picture but gets the job done.
10403275_10204572569017858_1115969734956418840_n.jpg

This thread hits close to home....maybe a little too close. :oops::lol: Our possibly 100-year-old-milkhouse-turned-coop is nothing to look at. :p However, it's sturdy, and does its job keeping the girls safe every night with cinder block walls, concrete floor, and metal roof. :) Not to mention, it holds quite a few birds....though not nearly enough to satisfy our addiction. ;)
Here it is when we bought the property, obviously in the process of removing unwanted greenery in preparation for an upcoming flock:
View attachment 1570651
The inside:
View attachment 1570649
View attachment 1570650
~Alex
Hi Alex,
Gorgeous looking chickadeedaas :)
Quick question - third pic, are they resting or laying?
Cheers,
Sue

This is my first coop I’ve ever built. Now its going to be repurposed to a chicken brothel in first picture. Picture 2 and 3 are of my second coop I’ve built for my 25 ladies! Well I have 11 men as well. Lol. Lost out in the chicken lottery.
Looking forward to seeing posts.

Attachments

• E449189F-55FE-4226-99F9-6C8C3489AE7A.jpeg
    E449189F-55FE-4226-99F9-6C8C3489AE7A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • 235C60B6-18BB-4795-A8D4-AAB4A802F6C7.jpeg
    235C60B6-18BB-4795-A8D4-AAB4A802F6C7.jpeg
    968.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 56BEC4BD-AC9C-436C-9B5C-16E10C2BF52A.jpeg
    56BEC4BD-AC9C-436C-9B5C-16E10C2BF52A.jpeg
    946.8 KB · Views: 16
Ok. Mine is ugly because it was trying to be one of those cute, trendy ones - LOL! I built it all by my lonesome out of recycled wood (recycled siding and a fence my mom's neighbor drove through). NOTHING was square, and every piece was cracked or warped. Never built anything before, really, and I only had a small miter saw and a table saw that wasn't in full working condition. The only thing I bought was the hardware cloth and the oops paint from Home Depot. And the roof. But when I attached it, I missed some of the pinions, and you can see them from inside the coop. It's hilarious, really. I was so mad at myself when I finished the thing, but my chooks don't care. I'm the only one who does.

But enough excuses. Here's my trying-to-be-cute-ugly coop:

coop.jpg

Everything is crooked - except the roof, of all things - which looks crooked in this pic because everything else is crooked. I need to get updated pics (my run isn't pictured), but I don't get home until after dark since the time change. I will try this weekend.

I will say that I love my door, though...

I love the idea of a playhouse coop. They are so cute, and we had an old playhouse anyway. Part of the problem with mine is that it's a slightly curvier design than most, with kind of a faux stone look- so it's difficult to get any wood to sit flush. I eventually got it predator proof but could not keep the drafts out. I think it will end up being a doghouse instead.
I ran into the same problem and have had a lot of luck with self tapping screws with a washer around them holding down chicken wire

This thread hits close to home....maybe a little too close. :oops::lol: Our possibly 100-year-old-milkhouse-turned-coop is nothing to look at. :p However, it's sturdy, and does its job keeping the girls safe every night with cinder block walls, concrete floor, and metal roof. :) Not to mention, it holds quite a few birds....though not nearly enough to satisfy our addiction. ;)
Here it is when we bought the property, obviously in the process of removing unwanted greenery in preparation for an upcoming flock:
View attachment 1570651
The inside:
View attachment 1570649
View attachment 1570650
~Alex
I love this

Back
Top Bottom