Show me your makeshift "play pens" for introducing new chicks to the flock

SnootyHen

Crowing
Apr 18, 2020
Illinois
Can I see what you are using to let new chicks have separated play dates in the main coop/run with the existing flock? I don't have a huge set-up so I am hoping to find something no bigger than 4x4 to take the babies for visits once they are a couple of weeks old. It would be awesome to see pictures or links to something you have used successfully. I'm only expecting to need it for a short term so even better if it can be re-purposed. Thanks!

IMG_4667.JPG
My husband built this inside our big enclosure so the young ones could be with the older ones but safely apart. When they are integrated with the flock, we just open the door and fasten it so all the girls can access both parts. We have since added more chicken wire above the short partial wall.

View attachment 2347720My husband built this inside our big enclosure so the young ones could be with the older ones but safely apart. When they are integrated with the flock, we just open the door and fasten it so all the girls can access both parts. We have since added more chicken wire above the short partial wall.

That's really nice!!! I'd love to be able to fit something like that in mine. Someday when I convince my husband to just let me have a whole farm...

E9D339C6-28D7-47E9-B925-2931EC5D6213.jpeg

ABDF38FB-0E35-4032-86C7-DB9C159A3380.jpeg

7F37B6D2-DBA5-45C8-A7AA-DEAA97D0FDD1.jpeg

I used a large dog crate for a “coop”, and even put two perches for roosting inside.
Then I used wooden stakes and hardwire to fence in a run for the chicks inside the main run.
I used chicken wire on the top.
Next week I’m going to put two doors on the fence, one at each end, so the youngsters can venture out and begin mingling.

I used a large dog crate for a “coop”, and even put two perches for roosting inside.
Then I used wooden stakes and hardwire to fence in a run for the chicks inside the main run.
I used chicken wire on the top.
Next week I’m going to put two doors on the fence, one at each end, so the youngsters can venture out and begin mingling.

Oh that's perfect! I already have an extra dog crate I'm not using right now. Thanks!!

This is my outdoor brooder, a little over 2'x4'
brood2.jpg

I also have a covered wire dog exercise pen that's 4'x4' that I've used to house chicks inside the coop for separation, also to break broodies as well as pen a few chickens outside for short periods of time. It folds up for storage.

Back
Top Bottom