Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

⚠️ Easiest Raised Garden Bed Using Only One Pallet!?

Just came across this YouTube video on how to make a raised garden bed using one free pallet. She cuts a pallet into 4 pieces and screws them together to get a basic 4X4 foot raised bed which I am guessing is probably 10-12 inches high. I think this is a project just about anybody could do with minimum skills, minimum tools and minimum cost.

So, check out the video first...

A few of my thoughts...

Instead of buying weed block material to line the sides of the pallet to keep the dirt in, you could probably make good use of those chicken feed bags you have laying around. Especially if the bags were made out of some kind of plastic material. I would not put down a waterproof material on the ground because you still want good drainage in this design. But those chicken bags would be great for the sides to hold in the dirt.

You could call the project done at that point and be totally happy with the build. Minimal effort with maximum payback. Her goal was to make an inexpensive garden bed that would last at least a few years. I think she met that goal.

:idunno If you are like me, you might be thinking what else could I do to this build?

As to the outside of the pallet raised beds, if you wanted to add a little extra to the project, you could put a board underneath that top open gap and put small planters around the outside of the pallet raised bed. Something like this...

1707923895891.png

Or maybe just put the board underneath that top gap and just fill it with dirt to grow some shallow root plants.

Another option would be to add some trim boards to the top, making it comfortable to sit on the wall/edge. I don't do that on my raised beds, but I know some people like the looks of the trim boards and/or need a place to sit down and relax while they tend their garden bed. The trim boards on top of the raised bed would look something like this...

1707924891756.png

1707924941807.png

If you don't like the looks of the open boards in the pallet raised bed walls, you could use a simple board on board method to cover the open gaps. Like this...

1707924399496.jpeg

I built that for a storage rack top just to keep most of the rain and snow off the wood stored inside the rack. But that same board on board method could be used to fill the open gaps on the side walls of a pallet raised bed if you don't like the open look of the pallet.

None of my modifications would have any effect on the plants growing inside the pallet raised bed, but I know aesthetics can be a big issue for some people. So, I thought I would offer some thoughts that you might want to consider.

:caf I made a couple more tiers for my stackable compost bin. This time I used some thinner (1/2 inch) boards that were only about 3 inches wide. I have got my building process down pretty well now, and it does not take very long for me to build each tier.

Having said that, I think I'll just stick to using 6-inch wide boards. It takes just as long to make a tier with a 3-inch wide board as it does to make a tier with 6-inch wide boards, but you double the height of the stackable compost bin with the wider boards.

Also, I like using the heavier, thicker (3/4 inch) boards which I think will hold up and last much longer.

Next, I plan on building some kind of wire frame top for the stackable bins so I can use a bin as a grazing frame. I have the build worked out in my mind, just need to find or buy some hardware cloth for the project. Stayed tuned for further updates on that....

I moved the pallet wood stackable compost bin outside to make room in the garage for other projects...

1708020564419.jpeg

I wanted to show you that I use all kinds of different boards in the making of that stackable compost bin. Boards varied in width and thickness. The only requirement I had was that the inside measurements had to be exactly 36X36 inches, so all the tiers would stack correctly. Because some planks were thicker (3/4 inch) than others (1/2 inch), the outside dimensions of the tiers will vary. Still, the inside dimensions are what counts and that allows me to use all kinds of pallet wood planks for this project.

I am harping on the point of the inside dimensions, because all the original cut lists in the project builds assume you are buying standard lumber at the big box stores. Well, if you buy standard lumber, then your outside and inside dimensions will always be consistent. The challenge with using pallet wood planks from various pallets is that the planks will vary in thickness, and you need to factor that in the modification before you make your cuts. When you get over that hurdle, making this stackable compost bin from pallet wood is easy.

Since I cleared room in my garage when I moved out the pallet wood stackable compost bin, I decided to finish off the pallet wood raised bed v2.0 that I started last week. Here is a picture of the build, finished, but standing upright in the garage to save space...

1708021127870.jpeg

At the top of the frame, you can see 4 black lag screws with washer heads. I salvaged them from a pallet I picked up last year. They are super strong lag screws and perhaps a bit of overkill for what this project requires. Last year I looked up those lag screws and they were selling for about 80 cents per screw. I salvaged them for free, so might as well use them up.

Next time I"ll just use some 4-inch-long drywall screws with a washer on the head. For a raised bed build, the long drywall screws with a washer should work just fine. The strength of the corners actually comes from the two 2X4's in each corner that are screwed into the outer 2X4 frame.

I used my 18-gauge brad nailer to attach the planks to the inside of the frame. That went really fast. I had enough options in wood that 3 sides did not require any special cut for the last board. That was pretty amazing. The one side I had to make a special cut because the top and bottom were off by 1/4 inch in the width of the board needed. Not too bad considering all the wood was only rough cut.

Again, this pallet wood raised bed build costs me less than $2.00 using lots of salvaged hardware and free pallet wood! That is one of the things I really like about this project.

Well, I don't want to leave with a last picture of my new raised bed standing upright in the garage, so here is a picture of what they look like out in the garden with some plants in them...

1708022355515.jpeg

:highfive: Now I just have to talk Dear Wife in helping me team carry that raised bed outside so I have enough room to make another raised bed in the garage. It's not too heavy, but it is bulky and I'm at an age where I will team lift stuff that as a young man I would move by myself.

I moved the pallet wood stackable compost bin outside to make room in the garage for other projects...

View attachment 3748799

I wanted to show you that I use all kinds of different boards in the making of that stackable compost bin. Boards varied in width and thickness. The only requirement I had was that the inside measurements had to be exactly 36X36 inches, so all the tiers would stack correctly. Because some planks were thicker (3/4 inch) than others (1/2 inch), the outside dimensions of the tiers will vary. Still, the inside dimensions are what counts and that allows me to use all kinds of pallet wood planks for this project.

I am harping on the point of the inside dimensions, because all the original cut lists in the project builds assume you are buying standard lumber at the big box stores. Well, if you buy standard lumber, then your outside and inside dimensions will always be consistent. The challenge with using pallet wood planks from various pallets is that the planks will vary in thickness, and you need to factor that in the modification before you make your cuts. When you get over that hurdle, making this stackable compost bin from pallet wood is easy.

Since I cleared room in my garage when I moved out the pallet wood stackable compost bin, I decided to finish off the pallet wood raised bed v2.0 that I started last week. Here is a picture of the build, finished, but standing upright in the garage to save space...

View attachment 3748804

At the top of the frame, you can see 4 black lag screws with washer heads. I salvaged them from a pallet I picked up last year. They are super strong lag screws and perhaps a bit of overkill for what this project requires. Last year I looked up those lag screws and they were selling for about 80 cents per screw. I salvaged them for free, so might as well use them up.

Next time I"ll just use some 4-inch-long drywall screws with a washer on the head. For a raised bed build, the long drywall screws with a washer should work just fine. The strength of the corners actually comes from the two 2X4's in each corner that are screwed into the outer 2X4 frame.

I used my 18-gauge brad nailer to attach the planks to the inside of the frame. That went really fast. I had enough options in wood that 3 sides did not require any special cut for the last board. That was pretty amazing. The one side I had to make a special cut because the top and bottom were off by 1/4 inch in the width of the board needed. Not too bad considering all the wood was only rough cut.

Again, this pallet wood raised bed build costs me less than $2.00 using lots of salvaged hardware and free pallet wood! That is one of the things I really like about this project.

Well, I don't want to leave with a last picture of my new raised bed standing upright in the garage, so here is a picture of what they look like out in the garden with some plants in them...

View attachment 3748828

:highfive: Now I just have to talk Dear Wife in helping me team carry that raised bed outside so I have enough room to make another raised bed in the garage. It's not too heavy, but it is bulky and I'm at an age where I will team lift stuff that as a young man I would move by myself.
Absolutely love both of those projects!

I'm moving on to another experimental project, maybe later today. Will let you guys know more about it later...

:lau Well, I'm measuring twice, cutting once, sawdust flying in the garage, thinking I'm really getting a good start on my new project. Making lots of noise doing guy stuff out in the garage and staying out of Dear Wife's hair inside the house on a Saturday morning...

:tongue I put the initial framing together and realized that I was short on both my length and width measurements. Bummer. I forgot to figure in the width of the wood framing, which in my case was 1-1/2 inches on both sides and ends, or another 3" total both ways.

:hit So, I have to start all over again.

Well, shoot. I decided to take some time off and come into the house for a lunch break and to rethink where I went wrong. Fortunately for me, I only cut one small section of the project thinking I might have to tweak the measurements. Turns out, a 3-inch difference both ways is more than a tweak, but at least it's not like I cut all the wood for the project and lost everything.

:yesss: At least I used screws to put the frame together, so it will be easy to take apart. I'll just recut and reuse some of that wood for shorter pieces I will need. The rest of the wood will get thrown into my ready to use bucket for some other project. Very little waste, and, after all, it's pallet wood that I picked up for free. One of the best things about working with pallet wood is that if you mess up on the project, at least you are not wasting good money on expensive cedar boards, for example.

⚠️ In fact, many times I was taught to make an initial proof of concept model with inexpensive materials, tweak the build until you get everything just right, then upgrade to more expensive materials if that is your goal.

:idunno So, I'll take a bit of time off to rethink my measurements and let my bruised ego heal, then I'll get back out there and start over again. Later...

:old No fun getting old! I had planned on finishing my current pallet wood project and uploading some pictures today - it was about 85% complete as of yesterday - but I went to town today and picked up 3 bags of chicken feed. In the process, I strained my lower back and now I'm in some pain, taking it easy, and popping some aspirin. I had to have some young guys at the Fleet store load the bags for me and the bags are still in the car until my back gets better.

:tongue When I got home, all my projects for the day had to be put off. I wil probably watch a few YouTube videos tonight for new pallet wood ideas and hope that the old back feels better tomorrow. Hurts even to sit up in a chair right now.

:hugs On a more positive note, Dear Wife watched some YouTube videos last night with me on making small wood planters. She saw one design that she liked and has asked me to build one for her. If it turns out good, I'm sure she will want more. Of course, I talked to her about making a few modifications so I can use pallet wood, and she was OK with that. She is mainly concerned about the size of the planter and not that it needs to be built with cedar or redwood.

:love Pallet wood is fine with her. So, her small planer project has moved to the top of my honey-do list immediately after I finish my current project and get that out of the way. I am building everything in a single stall of a 2-car garage, so there is pretty much only room for one project at a time. But it feels great to be working in the garage in February here in Minnesota now that I got the slab heat working again. Just need to rest the old back a little and I should be back in action soon....

:old No fun getting old! I had planned on finishing my current pallet wood project and uploading some pictures today - it was about 85% complete as of yesterday - but I went to town today and picked up 3 bags of chicken feed. In the process, I strained my lower back and now I'm in some pain, taking it easy, and popping some aspirin. I had to have some young guys at the Fleet store load the bags for me and the bags are still in the car until my back gets better.

:tongue When I got home, all my projects for the day had to be put off. I wil probably watch a few YouTube videos tonight for new pallet wood ideas and hope that the old back feels better tomorrow. Hurts even to sit up in a chair right now.

:hugs On a more positive note, Dear Wife watched some YouTube videos last night with me on making small wood planters. She saw one design that she liked and has asked me to build one for her. If it turns out good, I'm sure she will want more. Of course, I talked to her about making a few modifications so I can use pallet wood, and she was OK with that. She is mainly concerned about the size of the planter and not that it needs to be built with cedar or redwood.

:love Pallet wood is fine with her. So, her small planer project has moved to the top of my honey-do list immediately after I finish my current project and get that out of the way. I am building everything in a single stall of a 2-car garage, so there is pretty much only room for one project at a time. But it feels great to be working in the garage in February here in Minnesota now that I got the slab heat working again. Just need to rest the old back a little and I should be back in action soon....
I have the store pick and load my 12 bags of feed. I use the ford escape instead of the pickup because it's easier to unload. If I'm not up to it rain wouldn't matter. I have a Menards wagon that is a bit lower than the escape. I put 3 bags in and roll it around and in the basement door. I just have to pickup turn (without twisting) and set it down. I have metal shelves on the floor, then red pepper underneath empty feed bags for the rodents. I usually only stack 6 high. Higher bothers my back.

Back
Top Bottom