Show Me Your Pallet Projects!

Pics
Just one concern on your pics. In this pic you have a pallet sitting on top of the first row, but it does not look like you have any bracing or supports for safety. Maybe you secured it after the picture was taken. In any case, would hate to hear that an unsecured pallet fell on one of the minors.
Your concern is appreciated! It is braced on the back side with a 4ft 2x4. Me and minor 14 realized likely a good idea to brace it since we won't be working on it till next wk. (Hopefully)
Over the years, I have built garages, house additions, and sheds using store bought lumber. I know how to use standard construction methods using new lumber. But, using pallets for a big build is something I have never done. So any advice you can pass on would be most appreciated. I have enough pallets now to start a pallet shed build next spring.

I am pretty excited to do a bigger sized build. I would love to learn and use what I've learned ti build a shed. However, hubby said if we build a shed he wants to frame it out..etc...like actually build one, with lumber from the store. Who is he to take all my fun away lol!!!

Last edited:

Very nice. Thanks for the picture. How do your strawberries grow in the pallet planter? I had terrible luck with my strawberries in my raised bed. They grew OK, but I think the birds or squirrels ate all the berries before I could harvest any. Anyways, I'm thinking of replanting them somewhere else and planting something in the raised bed that will not be eaten by birds or squirrels.

I am pretty excited to do a bigger sized build. I would love to learn and use what I've learned ti build a shed. However, hubby said if we build a shed he wants to frame it out..etc...like actually build one, with lumber from the store. Who is his to take all my fun away lol!!!

Well, if I was going to park my car in a garage, I would want to be sure that the building was solid. I imagine a pallet wood garage could be built to high standards, but I don't even know how to put together a solid pallet wood shed at this point. I'm still researching building sheds with pallets online, on YouTube, etc...

:confused: My concern, in northern Minnesota, is making the roof strong enough to support our snow loads in the winter. I know how to build traditional rafters and such, but am trying to find out if the roof itself can be made with pallets. I think the walls could easily be made with pallets, but the roof situation has me stumped. Not that I would insist everything be made with pallets. I would certainly consider a metal roof on a pallet shed, for example.

Not that I would insist everything be made with pallets. I would certainly consider a metal roof on a pallet shed, for example.
Thats what we are using. I bought 4 sheets of 12ft long 3.5 ft wide metal for 60 bucks awhile back that we are gonna use for this roof.
Well, if I was going to park my car in a garage, I would want to be sure that the building was solid. I imagine a pallet wood garage could be built to high standards, but I don't even know how to put together a solid pallet wood shed at this point. I'm still researching building sheds with pallets online, on YouTube, etc...
That's fair enough lol. First thing hubs said when he saw what we got done for the day is. "Let's just take a little off here (so his lawnmower deck will fit) and ill just park my mower in it when you're done." I laughed, but I did offer up the build for his mower and told him I'd scratch the turkeys if he really wanted it. Him being him said, "Get your turkeys!" Gosh I love him so much!

I did offer up the build for his mower and told him I'd scratch the turkeys if he really wanted it. Him being him said, "Get your turkeys!" Gosh I love him so much!

:love I suspect he is powerless to the desires of you and the minors. Probably a very smart guy.

Keep posting those progress pics as you make the Turkey Tower.

:lau Yep, I don't throw out dull blades either. They get put aside for last ditch efforts. When I saw that clip on sharpening the blades, I thought to myself that there was a reason I had saved those old dull blades. I think I'll be trying to sharpen them up and see if I can get a second life out of them.
Here too. I'm very excited to see how well sharpening works.
I grew up pounding nails straight for reuse long before grandpa ever took me to the store to buy new nails.
Here too! I hate throwing things in the garbage if I can find any use for it....donate, give away or reuse makes me happy.
That's going to be pretty down the road.
Would love updates on how it does. I've seen lots of pictures of pretty pallet plant stands like that but always wonder how they do long term with water needs.

:love I suspect he is powerless to the desires of you and the minors. Probably a very smart guy.

Keep posting those progress pics as you make the Turkey Tower.
I suspect you're correct and I do my best to not exploit it!!! He is really one of the good ones!!!

And I sure will post some more pics as we progress on the tower.

Turkeys are different than chickens being as they are super super cold hardy. So the plan has already changed. We will be blocking off the right side (when you're looking at it, also words like north south east west...they mean nothing to me lol)

The front half, the right side, and half the back will be protected from wind so they have a wind block. Here's the dilemma.... I want to be able to take down the stuff providing the wind block in the summer time 🤔🤔🤔...I think...

Just a shout out to some people who I was talking to about pallet projects on the "What Did You Do In The Garden Today" thread. As much as I like that thread, it has so many posts per day that I can't pretend to keep up with it. Anyway, if you guys find this thread interesting, please post some pics, thoughts, or questions you may have about pallet projects for discussion.

@chickengr
@ChicksnMore
@Nodakj
@TJAnonymous
Just a shout out to some people who I was talking to about pallet projects on the "What Did You Do In The Garden Today" thread. As much as I like that thread, it has so many posts per day that I can't pretend to keep up with it. Anyway, if you guys find this thread interesting, please post some pics, thoughts, or questions you may have about pallet projects for discussion.

@chickengr
@ChicksnMore
@Nodakj
@TJAnonymous
I’m 61 and grew up on a small farm. We had about 300 birds. My dad fed the neighbors. Everyone had a job. Mine was to sing to them to encourage laying. I loved to sing but had, still do, the worst singing voice. My dad had a heart of gold. Out of pallets, he built a stage. We painted it and I felt special It was my venue and I have the fondest memories of doing my part to take care of the girls by busting out in song. My family loved it as well since I sang outside.

The front half, the right side, and half the back will be protected from wind so they have a wind block. Here's the dilemma.... I want to be able to take down the stuff providing the wind block in the summer time 🤔🤔🤔...I think...

Since you plan on using board on board design for the walls, why not use something like screws on some of those planks and take them off during the summer? That should open up the walls for ventilation while still proving lots of needed shade. Depending on how much open space you need, you can remove as many planks as you want.

Do you still need some wire for predator protection? Then maybe take off all the planks, put on your chicken wire or hardware cloth on to the 2X4's, and then put the planks back on (over the wire) when you need them. I think that might work. Using screws on the planks would make it a very easy job that I bet the minors would enjoy doing it.

Last edited:
I’m 61 and grew up on a small farm. We had about 300 birds. My dad fed the neighbors. Everyone had a job. Mine was to sing to them to encourage laying. I loved to sing but had, still do, the worst singing voice. My dad had a heart of gold. Out of pallets, he built a stage. We painted it and I felt special It was my venue and I have the fondest memories of doing my part to take care of the girls by busting out in song. My family loved it as well since I sang outside.

Thanks for the heartwarming story. It's always great to hear stuff like that.

As to your singing voice, it reminds me of my grandpa who loved to sign gospel songs. He could not carry a tune. But he always had a big smile on his face when he sang, and he would tell us grandkids that the Good Lord says make a "joyous noise" unto the Lord (Psalm 100). He was doing his part.

:love What he lacked in singing quality, he made up for in enthusiasm and devotion.

Back
Top Bottom