Show me your poop boards?

Pics
IMG_1142.JPG
Chiming in - we have an 8 x 12' shed converted to a chicken coop. For the floor and lower walls, nest box and poop board surfaces I painted on several coats of BlackJack Rubr-Coat 57, which is a flexible waterproof rubber flooring and more durable than sheets of vinyl flooring. WORKS AMAZINGLY. I painted the upper walls in premium exterior semi-gloss paint too. The poop board now has sand in it and I use the same kitty litter scooping technique as others. I noticed however that the poops stay wet longer in our (infrequent) rains, so I might switch to PDZ during the winter.

After using this setup for several months I also think the roosting bar is too high up - stray poops are now all over the beautiful white walls. Should we drop them down?

Thanks all!

After using this setup for several months I also think the roosting bar is too high up - stray poops are now all over the beautiful white walls. Should we drop them down?
Yes, was my first thought. Mine are 8-10" above the board.

more durable than sheets of vinyl flooring.
Depends on the vinyl.
The heavy duty foam backed vinyl I used has held up well for 4 years now.

I also think the roosting bar is too high up - stray poops are now all over the beautiful white walls. Should we drop them down?

My roost board is 24" deep, with the bar in the middle and only 8" above the board. I never have issues with poop out of the board. Also my roost bar lifts up out of the way when I scoop. Yes, I would lower it.

20171111_101403.jpg
20171111_101422.jpg

Last edited:
0A57EF33-CE98-458F-B447-D37F7CBDD558.jpeg
Late to this thread but figured I would still share because I really like my poop deck. This is a pic of the first day it was installed.

I used leftover linoleum that was put on the coop floor. It’s a thicker linoleum, figured cheap stuff would tear. I don’t put anything on it. Just use a garden hoe and a 12’ drywall muding tool to scrape poop into a kitty litter bin.

I actually mop it a few times in the summer/fall (I know that sounds crazy ha ha). Built it almost 2 years ago and it still looks good! The winter isn’t bad either. Usually only scrape every few days in the winter. I use a straight hoe (or whatever it’s called) in the winter to loosen poop up because it will fly all over with the bent type hoe. I use the bent type hoe for warmer weather. This makes for easy and fast cleanup to put right into the compost pile. I actually have other roosts in the coop like this too, not as big and it takes me less than 2 minutes total to clean up after 35 birds.

Back
Top Bottom