Show me your poop boards?

Pics
Here's my poop board....hope it loads ok.

Attachments

• 20161011_180416.jpg
    20161011_180416.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 242
8-5-2017 (55).jpg
Here ya go.
Split system, so I can lift one, slide it over, and clean underneath without killing myself.
This is a while ago---they now have only PDZ in them and cleanup is a breeze. We painted the trays with exterior semi-gloss paint and also lined them with vinyl sheet flooring. I clean them daily with a kitty litter scoop and any splat-poops are easily wiped up with a spritz of white vinegar and a paper towel.
There are cantilevered supports in the middle of the two trays and they rest on ledges.
One "live and learn" lesson: we just cut three pieces of wood to fill in the gaps behind the trays (note the construction of the coop behind the trays)---I will paint them in the next few days and they'll be installed when they dry.
My girls sometimes overshoot the trays and I have to pull the trays forward and reach way down to get the poop. Filling in those gaps at the rear will take care of that issue.
8-5-2017 (55).jpg

Last edited:
It's not a great picture, but you get the idea. We put the roosts in the corner and the board under the roosts. They are detachable, so we can lift them out to hose them down every so often. Usually I just use an old broom to sweep the soiled straw into a bucket every 3rd or 4th day.

Of course the picture is when they were brand new and the chicks weren't even old enough to fly up. They are not quite so white and pretty now!
IMG_0717.jpg

The great thing about using Sweet PDZ in the poop trays is that it neutralizes ammonia from the poop. Ammonia is a major respiratory irritant and can contribute to lung and eye issues.
Honestly, I can't detect any bit of ammonia when I clean out my coop an I am within inches of those trays every day. When the poops hit the PDZ they tend to seize up and dehydrate. Tootsie Turds. No stink, no slop.
Highly recommended.

I don't have a poop board. I have welded wire wire under my roost. What doesn't fall through to the ground gets brushed through to the ground with a deck brush every few weeks or so. My coop floor is about 2 feet above ground and there is no enclosed space under the coop.

Attachments

• IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 229
I really think that scooping poop is a good thing, on a daily basis. I can look at those poops and hope to detect any abnormalities before the **** hits the fan, so to speak.
OMG the first time I saw a coral-colored urate I totally freaked. PINK. No, SALMON. No, CORAL-COLORED, lol.
It was normal.
But the fact that I was able to isolate it to a particular area (and actually, to a particular bird) was a relief.
She was fine, and I was fine.

DSCN1041.JPG
Not the best picture, but those are my covered nesting boxes (the old headboard for my 80's style waterbed!). The roost is above the boxes -- they poop right on the top of the headboard/nest boxes, and I scrape it off every morning with a paint scraper into the bucket for the compost pile (emptied immediately). I sprinkle fresh sand up there for extra absorbing power.

Not one poop has ever dribbled into the nests from up above. My birds spend almost no time in the coop during the day, by their own choice. I had to winterize my covered patio for them, because *that's* where they go when it rains (and I assume they'll huddle there when it snows too!).

Back
Top Bottom