Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics
Aha! I mistook your mats for grass! I see also that your pen offers no cover for rats, which itself deters them. Good luck with the project!

I have about 35 breeders now that I'll likely thin down. I also have 100 shipped eggs on the incubator. Even if I have a great hatch rate I expect I will have extra males for the freezer. So I'm figuring I'll have around 60 to 80 over the winter in the big pen... Which will be covered!
big_smile.png

Thank you, I may try doing it your way as well.....

This is really nice. I'd like to give my quail some access to the ground like this. Do you have an opening large enough to go in for eggs? Do they need a space above the ground to sleep?

I put them in at night and they do have a roost. They lay their eggs outside and the end of the pen is a gate that gives me access for the eggs and cleaning.

Her is my pen. I might divide it in the spring and add another nest/feed area on the right side like the left.

Some of my chickens for size comparison.

Finished product with quail

Quail newbie here. Bought 26 adolescent courtunix. Built a 3'X8'X11" pen with 3 hinged top doors. Got a great deal on these birds and only had a few hours to throw this together so it's functional but not too pretty...actually it's down right ugly but it is build entirely of pallet wood and wire I had about the farm left over from other projects. Total cost:$35 for hinges and screws. Hmm - swore I took a phone pic but alas no pic on my phone. Will post pic tomorrow. BTW where does one source those nifty lil trough feeders the sit outside the cage?

Near the end of my coop build. Adapting an old frame that had been used for roofing training. A great result on the frame and wood from eBay means total cost is around £50. Just one door left to build and a dust bath before I decide on whether to buy or build the feeder and water system. Any advice on best feeder to stop food wastage would be much appreciated.

Hi guys!

Very useful thread! Just ordered quail eggs and need to come up with some type of shelter.
I was wondering... how many quail do you think this will comfortably fit (I've heard they eat each other if cramped....)
When I first ordered chickens I bought this pre-fab coop/run and quickly realized my chickens would need more room.
Now they are in a 6'x'6'x6' coop that opens to a 20'x'20' run covered in bird netting at 6'.
I was originally thinking I could keep quail with them, but then found out not such a good idea.
I use this now when I have chicks that outgrow the brooder before they join the other chickens.

I would put hardware cloth on the bottom so nothing could dig in (though I don't think that's an issue because nothing has ever dug into my chicken pen right next to it).
The dimensions of the bottom part open to the ground are about 2.5ft deep and about 5' long. Then upstairs there is a pull out tray that's about 2.5'x2.5' and 2 nesting boxes attached to the back.

Curious how many quail you think I could keep in this set up...
Plan on growing out to breeding age, but don't think I will breed. I'll probably pick some favorite girls for eggs and process the rest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom