Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics
This thread has helped me tremendously!!
I wanted to thank you all for the AWESOME pen pics!
These will definitely help me design my own.
You guys/gals are great!
Thank you!

woot.gif

So I will post some pics of my pens when I get them closer to being finished, they are just flat panels right now. I am making double pens that will be 6' wide with a partition in the middle and I am still up in the air weather I should make the partitions out of wire or make them solid out of plywood. What do you think, and I will post some pics when I am done.

Building this atm not a bad coop from just scrap wood i had laying around! Will post finished pic should be tomorrow i finish. Will have everything fully contained in roofline. No disturbing these guys once they make it into the coop.

Hello everyone. I have 18 jumbo coturnix quails and they are coming out of the brooder next weekend. This is the pen I built. I'm sure it is not perfect and any opinions and suggestions to improve it will be appreciate it.
This is my VERY first time building anything and raising quails. The bottom of the pen has chicken wire to protect from predators. I dug out the whole perimeter of the pen about an inch or two and then placed it on the dug out site and filled the run with the dirt I dug out, that way the chicken wire would not be right on the surface and hurt the quail feet when the dig. I have three doors with locks for easy cleaning and reaching in. I know a lot of people says they do not a nesting box like chickens, but I made then a little corner box that I will add some grass hay to for them to cuddle in
hugs.gif

The run is 5' long and the box is 3', total 8' long. Hope that is enough space for them.
I will be adding a net to make a removable ceiling inside the box. Thinking that will help when I open it to clean it out, so that they won't jump/fly up and run away. I'm also thinking of clipping their wings. I read on here that it might be a good idea. Specially since my yard is not fenced
hmm.png

Again, and ideas or/and suggestions are welcome.

It depends on the birds. Ive had boxes on some cages off and on for years and they use them randomly. Some hens will lay in the same spot daily and that might happen to be a box but dont take that a sign theyll all do it.

It depends on the birds. Ive had boxes on some cages off and on for years and they use them randomly. Some hens will lay in the same spot daily and that might happen to be a box but dont take that a sign theyll all do it.

Thank you. I left the box in and placed pine shaves and grass hay and they seem to like it. They go in and out of the shelter box but pretty much stay on the run side all day and night. Let's see what they do when it rains
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom