Show me your quail pens!!!

Has anyone had success with prefabricated coops?

I have seen people use the prefab rabbit hutches that are usually a light brown stained wood. Like all prefab, the quality is usually not that great and the wood is usually soft. So it would mostly be about predator proofing since a lot of them are easy to open for a raccoon.

If you are talking about using an actual prefab chicken coop, keep in mind that quail (at least coturnix) generally don't use ramps, and don't roost. Don't use nest boxes (usually). So a chicken coop may be a waste of space for quail. But like with everything some people have crazy quail that like to act like chickens.

Any good cheap button quail cage ideas?

Petco occasionally (a few times per year) has a "one dollar per gallon" sale on fish tanks. It is a good time to pick up a 40 gallon breeder tank. They are short and wide/deep. So good for something like a quail who doesn't use the vertical space as much as the horizontal. Also just a plain good deal since 40G breeders usually cost over $100. So more than 50% off during those sales. Dimensions are 36 by 18.

Petco occasionally (a few times per year) has a "one dollar per gallon" sale on fish tanks. It is a good time to pick up a 40 gallon breeder tank. They are short and wide/deep. So good for something like a quail who doesn't use the vertical space as much as the horizontal. Also just a plain good deal since 40G breeders usually cost over $100. So more than 50% off during those sales. Dimensions are 36 by 18.
Sadly I think I just missed that sale

Just moved the quails outside into their newly built aviary. Hubby did most of the building. I still need to get a better feed and water system set up when I figure out what will work best. Also will build a better shelter for them this week but I wanted them out of the house lol

Bottom, side and roof are made from sheets of fibreglass that I snagged from the garbage bin at work. The door is fibreglass that’s reinforced with plywood. 4’w 8’l 5’h, with 1” hardware cloth.

Planning on trying deep litter in there, and I figure it will help keep them warm in the winter.

A323CF34-B30A-4C70-AE6D-BC50DAFC1EAA.jpeg 1FA60B66-EED3-4279-9FE1-99D84D219D6D.jpeg D5E7BE93-3EAB-4CF2-B6C4-291C7B2FE654.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom