Show me your Runs!...please 😇

20210223_174027.jpg

The run is really only used when things like this happen and the chickens choose not to tunnel out:View attachment 2569062
Otherwise, it is just an extension of the coop. It's 12'x28' with a solid roof and a 4'x8' extension off the back that houses the dust bathing area. When physically possible, they spend their day inside their pen. It is fenced in with poultry netting powered with a 10,000 volt/1.2 Joule output charger. The total area is about 1/3 acre.
View attachment 2569060
But the coop also has a build-in brooder/maternity ward and 4'x8' outdoor area.
View attachment 2569059
And I installed branches along the back of the run so the flock can preen and hang out there while they wait for me to let them out.View attachment 2569061
I have a question about my plans fro the run. I can I close about 50x50 ft area which has mostly gras and some daffodils which I assume would be destroyed by chickens. The plan is to have 10 chickens. I can enclose another area, mostly wooded with some type wild ground cover Which would add about 600 ft2. I wonder if chickens like such wooded area. I don’t want to enclose it if it is not worthwhile for chickens (cost of fencing!).

i appreciate your advise,
thank you.

I have a question about my plans fro the run. I can I close about 50x50 ft area which has mostly gras and some daffodils which I assume would be destroyed by chickens. The plan is to have 10 chickens. I can enclose another area, mostly wooded with some type wild ground cover Which would add about 600 ft2. I wonder if chickens like such wooded area. I don’t want to enclose it if it is not worthwhile for chickens (cost of fencing!).

i appreciate your advise,
thank you.
They would love it.
What type of fencing? I would back it up with electric fencing for an added predator barrier.

I suggest that you dig up and transplant your daffodils, both to save them from the chickens and because they are toxic.

The chickens would love the wooded area. The Jungle Fowl from which they were derived are creatures of the forest floor. :)

20210328_092235.jpg
This is our run area. The hens are in the nesting boxes. Idk if you can see but they have a hen and 2 roos on a roost. I'll have to get more pics. It is about 20x38. There are 8 chickens in it currently with 10 more waiting to be added when they're older. We have a trawl net top on the run so they can get sun and they can go beneath the coop and nesting area for shade. They also have 2 roost in the runs for resting during the day. I want to add a chicken swing and cabbage on a string for playing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom