Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
and also the same on this one... she has green legs!

I had a hen hatch 1 egg the chick went in the next pen and was immediately killed by the hen in that pen. Since then they been enemies no problems beforehand

Last edited:
I agree with Havoc... probably best to separate especially if multiple hens are brooding or having chicks...

This last year I let my black hen brood and raise chicks in the avairy, but she was the only one with chicks, so I didnt have to worry about her killing other chicks. And the black hen was dominant so none of the other hens messed with her or her chicks... if she wasnt dominant then I would have let her out to care for them without being bothered by other hens.

In the pen the BR hen seems to be dominant because she's always instigating stand-offs and the other hens tend to back down. When they were free ranging in the trees the ivory grey hen would always be highest & on the same limb with the rooster, so the behavior inside the pen contradicts the pecking order I noticed in the yard. Nonetheless, I'm going to keep them separated when breeding. I might just go ahead and put one nesting box in the pen now with a few golf balls in it, or maybe even an egg from the store, and see how they react. I have a PTZ camera in the pen so I can watch them when I'm inside or away from the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom