Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pimpin

I learned a few things today. The pumpkins were smaller than I thought. Escaped twice today. Pen is completely covered in chicken wire now. (Thst was fun)
some of the small cats that are running around can get under the 5.5 in bottom electric wire. Although not all of them. Lol. Gonna add one more wire at about 4 inches. That should stop em. They don't bother the birds but I wasn't too happy to look down and see a cat at my feet. The bigger one were sitting outside the wire, must have learned they can't fit. Lol

Centra what do you mean by phenotype

The look or behavior you can measure / see. More than on genotype (mix of genetics) can give you a given look even though that is info you are really interested in.

For your bird in question you have feather coloration, comb type, body type and leg coloration. Even with those known you cannot determine the actual background of animal unless you have reliable chain of ownership plus breeding records. A geneticist I would trust even better than ownership and breeding records but cost for that is prohibitive.

this is my muff hen that I will be breeding next year back to her father to try and set a line does any one have any experience with this I would like to set up a line off of one above average individual her father is what the Spanish people call a pinto we call it a spangled has any one read any of Narragansett's books im pruty sure he bread like this I'm thinking of ordering his books has any one read them .....

this is my muff hen that I will be breeding next year back to her father to try and set a line does any one have any experience with this I would like to set up a line off of one above average individual her father is what the Spanish people call a pinto we call it a spangled has any one read any of Narragansett's books im pruty sure he bread like this I'm thinking of ordering his books has any one read them .....

Does she have any full sisters or even half-sisters by the same cock? If yes. then breed those to him as well. From each mating choose the best pullet(s) and repeat. I linebreed back at least three generations with at least two sublines on the female side. As you go through succeeding generations it should be increasingly difficult to tell the sublines apart. Make so you have multiple pullets with each subline. Also do not discard hens from previous generation until you get pullets ID and bred from next.

Does she have any full sisters or even half-sisters by the same cock? If yes. then breed those to him as well. From each mating choose the best pullet(s) and repeat. I linebreed back at least three generations with at least two sublines on the female side. As you go through succeeding generations it should be increasingly difficult to tell the sublines apart. Make so you have multiple pullets with each subline. Also do not discard hens from previous generation until you get pullets ID and bred from next.
the problem for him is he wants to set the line in the muff blood or the cross that the breeding produced if I'm not mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom