Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Quote:
I need someone to come help me butcher in a couple months. Can you come here for a vacation then, Jeff?
lol.png

Oh Mrs. Kathy I do so need a vacation and yes if I possibly could I'd definatly come and lend a hand but I'm so tied down with my bunch now and I don't think I could get anyone to take care of my birds for love nor money. I could'nt trust anybody to do it right in the first place. I'd so love to come up and check out your operation and visit my old stomping grounds in NW Ark too but I just don't see it happenin' in the near future. I got to seriously scale down here this year, too many irons in the fire for sure.

I see Cetawin is trying to persuede me to go to Georgia a get that Delawegger boy for my girls but that's not happening either they'll just have to have an off colored beau for now.

Jeff

Well then, I will just have to recruit Billy and Cait!
lol.png

Believe me, I know what you mean. I think I am tied down here, too. I have help, but still have to go "pick up the pieces," once they are "finished."
barnie.gif

Quote:
I extremely lucky in that aspect.. There is a woman in this area that does them for a 1.35 a piece bagged. She does an outstanding job of it as well. I can't hardly justify doing it myself for that. Besides, myself and a friend time ours to go in together. So she usually gets 50-100 birds from us at a time. She does about 400 a day 3 days a week.

I had an Amish woman process for me last year. I paid $2. or $2.25 each, something like that. I wasn't too happy with the results, so won't do that again. She said she was running out of time and had her husband help her bag them. Some bags had only a breast, others had 6 or 8 legs, etc. We open up a package and never know what we will get! GEEEEEESH ! ! ! I should have told her to just leave them "whole!" I need to do it myself anyway. I helped my mom when I was a kid, and I know I can do it, but I am just S L O W ! ! !

Quote:
It is a common fault in many breeds. The tail can be pinched in two ways or both. (width and depth of tail) From the rear a Del tail should look like this ^ not this l. A teepee as opposed to a tail with the tail feathers on both sides touching or nearly touching from the bottom up. The tail feathers should only touch at the top of the teepee. The top to bottom part of the tail should look spred so that you can count tail feathers.......not a bunch of tail feathers that only looks like 2 or three from the side. Kathy posted very good profile drawings of a Del.

Walt

Quote:
Oh Mrs. Kathy I do so need a vacation and yes if I possibly could I'd definatly come and lend a hand but I'm so tied down with my bunch now and I don't think I could get anyone to take care of my birds for love nor money. I could'nt trust anybody to do it right in the first place. I'd so love to come up and check out your operation and visit my old stomping grounds in NW Ark too but I just don't see it happenin' in the near future. I got to seriously scale down here this year, too many irons in the fire for sure.

I see Cetawin is trying to persuede me to go to Georgia a get that Delawegger boy for my girls but that's not happening either they'll just have to have an off colored beau for now.

Jeff

Well then, I will just have to recruit Billy and Cait!
lol.png

Believe me, I know what you mean. I think I am tied down here, too. I have help, but still have to go "pick up the pieces," once they are "finished."
barnie.gif

Gotcha
wink.png
I know exactly what you mean there, Mrs. Kathy its later then its ever been right at plenty after ten and i can barely hold my eyes open so im going to sign off and till later on I bid ya'll all a good night and a better tomorrow.

Jeff

Quote:
The price she charges is whole. It's extra if we want them cut up. But that part I'd rather do myself. She has pretty much a commercial set up for doing them. Most of time she does CX's.

Plus she likes to talk me out of a roo once in a while.. LOL

Quote:
It is a common fault in many breeds. The tail can be pinched in two ways or both. (width and depth of tail) From the rear a Del tail should look like this ^ not this l. A teepee as opposed to a tail with the tail feathers on both sides touching or nearly touching from the bottom up. The tail feathers should only touch at the top of the teepee. The top to bottom part of the tail should look spred so that you can count tail feathers.......not a bunch of tail feathers that only looks like 2 or three from the side. Kathy posted very good profile drawings of a Del.

Walt

Like this?

31282_dscf27182.jpg

Quote:

Walt

Like this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_dscf27182.jpg

That is a great example of how it should look top to bottom. You should be able to see all those tail feathers from the side, not just two or three.

Walt

Quote:
Like this?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/31282_dscf27182.jpg

That is a great example of how it should look top to bottom. You should be able to see all those tail feathers from the side, not just two or three.

Walt

Kathy thanks for posting the pic.

Walt, thanks for clearing that up.. Now I know what you're referring to exactly. I wasn't sure what you meant before. Now I see what you mean by both directions.

Quote:
NICE FENCE .. . . REALLY NICE FENCE!
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif

I KNOW you were looking for chicken feedback, but the fence is what is catching my eye....
droolin.gif

Man, that thing looks SOLID and TALL. I am in the process of fencing off some more property so that I can let my different groups out at the same time.
I am just using T-post and field fencing. I am running it into the woods and there is NO WAY I would be able to get posts like yours into the ground admist all the tree roots and undergrowth.

My fencing won't be nearly as predator proof as yours..... but it will keep the neighborhood dogs away!

Back
Top Bottom