Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Those are by far way better than any of the hatchery type remakes I ever have found/had from the destinguished hatcheries and all the glorification they receive for having such wonderful/marvelous stock, LOL

Jeff
gig.gif

One of my "Standard" (Or so the guy we bought her from said) Dellies just laid an egg... and she's about the size of a bantam... will she grow more after beginning to lay or is this a bantam birdie? She's about 5 months old, too.

Last edited:
One of my "Standard" (Or so the guy we bought her from said) Dellies just laid an egg... and she's about the size of a bantam... will she grow more after beginning to lay or is this a bantam birdie? She's about 5 months old, too.

Most pullets are as grown up as they will get by the time they go into production some will gain in weight still yet as they reach adulthood close to a year when they are considered hens. It would be very difficult on the birds system to get enough nutrients and sustenance from the feed and such to grow and produce eggs also.

Jeff

She sounds like a bantam to me. By five mos should be at least 2/3rds her yearling size which is way bigger then a bantam, my hens are 4-5 lbs. A bantam hen wont go over 2 lbs. Or shouldnt.

Well, mine arenot Bantams, hens are at least 4 lbs and the rooster is 5-6lbs, they eggs go from XLarge to Jumbo,

they are seriously not Bantam. My hens are quite docile, the rooster is protective, which I dont mind at all.

I would like to hear from others about their egg sizes.

Well, mine arenot Bantams, hens are at least 4 lbs and the rooster is 5-6lbs, they eggs go from XLarge to Jumbo,

they are seriously not Bantam. My hens are quite docile, the rooster is protective, which I dont mind at all.

I would like to hear from others about their egg sizes.
My hens are close to 5lbs. Roosters closer to 8, 8.5lbs. However eggs vary from large to jumbo. Every once in a while I'll get a jumbo jumbo double yoker. Once even got a double egg. Strangest thing I've ever seen. It was a fully developed large egg inside of a fully developed jumbo egg. When I say "developed" I'm referring to the shell, not the embryo.. When I cracked it, expecting to see a double yoker I was shocked when I found the second egg inside. The wife took pics. Egg colors range from off white to light tan, Never anything really dark.

Back
Top Bottom