Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

My six Delaware chicks arrived yesterday! Look like marshmallows!

Husband broke his own rule ... said they were too small for the shed, so they are in the house in the laundry room ;-)

Terribly cute. Ordered from a hatchery, came hungry and thirsty, but so far so good.

lol.png
nice.

Congrats on your new babies!!! They are adorable. Mine are about 18 weeks now and we are on egg watch but not really expecting anything for a few more weeks at least.

I do have a size question for all you old hands out there. I went to a poultry show this weekend and my pullets seem so very tiny compared to the ones being shown. Granted the actual ages were not on the cards so they might be way older but at 18 weeks my girls weigh around 4-4.5# and are about to my knee with their heads (maybe 18 inches??) Are they on target? I have nothing to compare them to as this is my first chickens ever!

Congrats on your new babies!!! They are adorable. Mine are about 18 weeks now and we are on egg watch but not really expecting anything for a few more weeks at least.

I do have a size question for all you old hands out there. I went to a poultry show this weekend and my pullets seem so very tiny compared to the ones being shown. Granted the actual ages were not on the cards so they might be way older but at 18 weeks my girls weigh around 4-4.5# and are about to my knee with their heads (maybe 18 inches??) Are they on target? I have nothing to compare them to as this is my first chickens ever!
Don't have large #s but here is what I have
Red tag Pullets from Wekiva and Julie line at 18 weeks 4.06 , 3.78 , 4.16 , and 3.80 pounds
Blue tag Pullets from Kathyinmo at 19 weeks 3.00 , 3.75 , 3.19 , 3.19 , 3.43
However reports are this blue line matures slow - they are growing however.
Not sure that will help but thats all I have. I got first egg from red line at 20 weeks and we are at 22.5 weeks on Blue and no new miniature eggs yet

This is Kiwi. She's from a hatchery and one week old. She's my favorite because she is so friendly. She jumps out of the brooder when she sees me coming. She is always trying to eat the freckles off my hand. She's awesome!

Don't have large #s but here is what I have
Red tag Pullets from Wekiva and Julie line at 18 weeks 4.06 , 3.78 , 4.16 , and 3.80 pounds
Blue tag Pullets from Kathyinmo at 19 weeks 3.00 , 3.75 , 3.19 , 3.19 , 3.43
However reports are this blue line matures slow - they are growing however.
Not sure that will help but thats all I have. I got first egg from red line at 20 weeks and we are at 22.5 weeks on Blue and no new miniature eggs yet

Mine from Paul are 21 weeks now. And no eggs yet. But I think there going to come soon. A few hens starting to talk a lot. Usually means they are getting ready.

Our Delaware "Abagail " was picked out by my grandaughter Megan. Of our six hens, all different breeds, she is the leader. When I need to get the girls back in the pen I get the " red rake" and tell Abby to take the girls back to he pen. She has a definite route which usually goes under the Magnolia tree. Overall she s very gentle and likes to be held. She is an afternoon layer. Her eggs are good sized and light brown. I highly recommend this breed and she is gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom