Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

I apologize for my bad choice of words regarding poor stock. It was a wrongful generalization out of ignorance. I'm not trying to bash the hatcheries, after all, they do serve a purpose for people who only want meat, eggs and/or pets and have no interest in breeding to the Standard Of Perfection, and they do a remarkable job of supplying folks with those needs. I now realize that other breeds may be crossed in to promote egg production while trying to at least maintain the "visual aspect" of the original breed.

Thank you, LeslieDJoyce. --BB

Last edited:
I apologize for my bad choice of words regarding poor stock. It was a wrongful generalization out of ignorance. I'm not trying to bash the hatcheries, after all, they do serve a purpose for people who only want meat, eggs and/or pets and have no interest in breeding to the Standard Of Perfection, and they do a remarkable job of supplying folks with those needs. I now realize that other breeds may be crossed in to promote egg production while trying to at least maintain the "visual aspect" of the original breed.

Bobby - its not a problem its just learning - If you just want eggs and chicken friends hatchery will fit the bill - if you want a homestead bird with a little less egg production but meat potential find a quality breeder. Good luck - Either way its a great breed.

I apologize for my bad choice of words regarding poor stock. It was a wrongful generalization out of ignorance.  I'm not trying to bash the hatcheries, after all, they do serve a purpose for people who only want meat, eggs and/or pets and have no interest in breeding to the Standard Of Perfection, and they do a remarkable job of supplying folks with those needs.  I now realize that other breeds may be crossed in to promote egg production while trying to at least maintain the "visual aspect" of the original breed.

I'm 100% in favor of breeding them to the standard first, then working on tweaking performance. I think the right shape, and in the case of Delawares also the color, really helps the bird perform well, so those aren't entirely separate projects. And I do appreciate the genetic diversity of not mixing in too much "industrial" into the Dual Purpose heritage breeds. So I'm not hugely in favor of the general hatchery Delawares or their shape shape, even if the feather and lay somewhat faster. But I do understand breeder-quality Delawares are rather rare, and it's often how people get started with birds. There is at least one very dedicated breeder helping improve Delawares that started with birds from many hatchery sources. Again, with Delawares there aren't many options. I'd rather people work with Delawares than not ... As of yet the breed can't afford to be too snobby, if you know what I mean.

I'm 100% in favor of breeding them to the standard first, then working on tweaking performance. I think the right shape, and in the case of Delawares also the color, really helps the bird perform well, so those aren't entirely separate projects. And I do appreciate the genetic diversity of not mixing in too much "industrial" into the Dual Purpose heritage breeds. So I'm not hugely in favor of the general hatchery Delawares or their shape shape, even if the feather and lay somewhat faster. But I do understand breeder-quality Delawares are rather rare, and it's often how people get started with birds. There is at least one very dedicated breeder helping improve Delawares that started with birds from many hatchery sources. Again, with Delawares there aren't many options. I'd rather people work with Delawares than not ... As of yet the breed can't afford to be too snobby, if you know what I mean.
Im getting there. Reading about breeding and doing it are two completely different animals.

I agree with the above. I love the breed.

18.5 weeks Hatchery pullets from Privet (I think)

The boy was supposed to be a pullet along with the rest thinking about keeping him

Some of my birds with Bonham heritage (Got the one in the back, and the butt of the other from @capayvalleychick )
The one in the foreground was hatched from Kims birds last year

This was this years hatch 26 weeks kind of an odd angle makes here breast look weird

Another pic of the boy

My other bird from Kim (the butt from the other pic)

Pretty pullet from April hatch. Oregon Delaware strain of the recreated Bonham line. I think my females are getting ahead of my males in terms of color.

Back
Top Bottom