Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Why is "hatchery stock" so poor? They have got to get them eggs from somewhere. Are they getting them from sloppy breeders or doing their own thing with hens and fertilized eggs? I think they should be held accountable for passing off breeds as "pure" specimens. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Why is "hatchery stock" so poor?  They have got to get them eggs from somewhere.  Are they getting them from sloppy breeders or doing their own thing with hens and fertilized eggs?  I think they should be held accountable for passing off breeds as "pure" specimens. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

They say the hatchery birds aren't bred for much beyond maximum number of live chicks in the minimum amount of time. It is believed hatcheries cross in the better laying breeds to facilitate this. It seems from looking at photos that hatchery Delawares might have fairly accurate feather color, but often have light legs ... possibly due to having something like a Light Sussex in the mix to help with feather color (but Sussex have white legs). Typically hatchery Delawares will feather fast, lay young, and have narrow, light bodies. This is great for backyarders who want a variety of breeds and feather colors in their flock, but still want lots of eggs with minimum feed. It's less great for people looking for meat. And it's even less great for people looking to breed or show them.

Thanks so much. I have no interest in breeding and/or showing. I just want some pets for eggs and companionship. I don't like the thought that some of these breeds "burn out" in about 18 months. It would be nice to have some layers way beyond that point, and not have to have them "processed" and replaced so often. I have no chickens as of yet. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

This Delaware pullet is growing on me. I have two, the other slow to mature, but this one is a handsome little thing. I don't claim to know SOP, my background is livestock, not poultry, but especially considering she is hatchery stock, she looks pretty good to me. I'm sure someone here can tell me there's something she's missing.

I have no designs on breeding anything anytime soon, but she has more of a figure than most of the birds I have. Just wanted to share.

It looks like my Delaware is a cockerel. Star is 8.4 weeks and the largest of the bunch.

Here is my Delaware Cockrel?
Wouldnt give up on pullet yet How barred is the tail may be larger but thats dels in general. My dels are larger than my hamps same hatch date. Typically the boys have thicker and longer leg shanks. Tails are not a certain but lots of barring is typically male light barring or black is typically female (males with solid black tails often have faint neck barring) 8-9 weeks is a still a bit early for some del lines.

Back
Top Bottom