Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Baby Roo
big_smile.png

28521_birdsfair_043.jpg

I noticed something so obvious- when I have all the babies in the big rubbermaid brooder they scatter when I come near them (approaching from above.) When I moved them to the "up in the air" brooder- they are at face level. All of the chicks actually run AT me. Jumping on my arms and following me around. I think just having the different view really helps.

I noticed that too. I was wondering if it was just chick personalities. But now that you say it. Perhaps it was vantage point related. The ones I raised up in the air sure are more friendly than the others........ Moved my 5 wk old Dels outside today to the chicken tractor...Right next to the run for the older flock. The older flock sure are not happy with the new comers. There is more noise out there than a carnival.

Quote:
Me too! I hatched so many welsummer boys I had to buy girls so I could get rid of them in pairs. Same thing with the olive eggers
barnie.gif
I finally gave away the big roo- think he was the problem.

On a good note- it appears that the delaware chicks we got from Scott turned out to be 2 pairs (I hope!) Janelle and I both got a pair
smile.png
The delaware x's look like 3 boys, 2 girls- so we both got a pair of them too. I gave Janelle the extra roo because she goes to more swaps & stuff. I can't even sell all these girls I have, let alone roos. Business has just dried up this past month.

I have a THEORY:
I've observed these lopsided hatchings from incubators with mostly roos or mostly hens. Then I learned something interesting about sea turtles. The sex of the turtle isn't determined at conception, but at some point in the development. It is determined by the temperature around the egg. They've figured out that sands at different beaches of certain temperatures turn out more males or females accordingly. More males tend to hatch from sands that are slightly cooler. I wonder how chicken genetics works.
bethanyrae

Quote:
Thanks Jeremy, I'm not sure but I think it would be considered a 5 pointer. From one side it almost looks like he has a small point closer to the front but you don't see it all from the other side. The leg color is from the photo - it was taken during sunset and I was getting some pinkish coloring inside the pen. They all have nice yellow legs but I do have a question. I can't see it so much on the girls (very faint) but on his legs, it is like he has a row of pink dots under the skin that run down the sides of his legs. All the roo's had it so I was thinking it was normal but maybe not?? Not sure what a squirrel tail is but I really don't think I am going to get any better photos until it cools down here. The temps have been 80's for lows at night and 100's for highs during the days for over a month straight now so they are not getting much a cool down even at night. They have been hanging their wings and constantly fluffing their feathers to cool off. And I noticed he is holding his tail feathers higher than he used to so maybe his tail is too high but I will probably have to wait for a cold front to confirm it is him or just because he is hot.

But regardless, he was the best one it the lot and as close to standards as my untrained eye could pick. I will hatch some chicks and hope to get some Roo's that are better then him and keep breeding the best to the best.

I need to post my girl's photos on here too for advise. I am not as sure of the standards for the girls. I know that I have the correct tail coloring. Black with white trim and no barring. Do I need to count the combs on them too? I only need one out of the five to be close to standards then I will only hold back her eggs for hatching.

Thanks again for your advise!

Belinda

Prioritizing:

Of the three little roos I have to choose from, I have narrowed it down to one, but now I'm beginning to question that.

He has the least distinct barring, though it still seems quite good compared to what I have seen in other pictures. He has bright yellow (almost orange) legs, and the best comb of the crew, and he is considerably larger.

BUT, he is the most stand-offish, and there is that question of the barring.

How do you prioritize your picks? My instinct is to go for the biggest of the batch, even if some of the cosmetic factors are lacking, but in this boys case the only thing is a slight inferiority in the barring, so....why can't one bird have all the good stuff!

Hello
frow.gif
If you have any chicken questions or would like to help other people answer their chicken questions more easily just go to this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=389299. You can help me answer the questions that I don't know the answers to and I can try as best I can to answer your questions. It will make raising chickens much easier for many people!
big_smile.png

Please and
Thank you!
wink.png

wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom