Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Hi, everyone.

Popping in to remind everyone about the recognition awards.

We want to validate the efforts and contributions of our members who give sooo much. This community is special because of the efforts of its members, and we all want to honor that.

NOW: get to nominating, if you haven't already!

Remember, each BYC member may nominate one member each month for each of the three recognition categories: BYC Friend, BYC Educator, and BYC Spirit. That's three nominations each month, and we want to see more submissions!

Use the Nomination Submission Form to make your suggestions.

Thanks!

Quote:
And now back to our regular programming.
big_smile.png

20 eggs with a new boy introduced to the mix due to hatch late tomorrow. We will see if this introduction was a plus or a mistake.

Quote:
Thank you. She is wider than she appeared in the other photos.

your welcome!
big_smile.png
what do you guys think?? I want to get a roo to breed with them, since I lost the one I had. Would either (or both) of these girls be good for breeding?

Quote:
Anyone want to help us critique our girls?? Good luck to all of those who have new ones hatching, and Kathyinmo those babies are darling!
love.gif

Now that the Sussex hatched out those eggs, one of our Delly hens has gone broody. Do they make good mothers? The little Sussex is wonderful, she took four feed-store chicks with no fuss at all, then hatched four and is now doing a fine job with all eight. This Del is meaner, she bites whereas the Sussex just glared. If she's not likely to be good, I can wait until one of the Australorps or Orpingtons goes broody... On the other hand, maybe she and Rexx could protect the little fuzzballs from the omnipresent Ravens.

We have two pretty nice-looking Del hens that I'd like to get chicks from, and a couple of good NH as well. And it's hard to resist hatching some more Delaweggers!

Quote:
I don't think there is a yes or no answer to that. Every broody is so different. I have had 3 good broodies who sit tight and are good at hatching, but they were awful mothers. Not Delawares, but just an example. My other broodies have done well with both sitting and mothering.
idunno.gif

Ooh I'm so excited! One of my sexed "pullets" is turning out to be a little male Delaware and I couldn't be happier! I pretend to be bummed for my husband's sake because he dislikes the roosters... but I was secretly hoping I'd get one little accident. Yay!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom