Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Okay, going to the experts. I have a 5 week old chick that I've assumed for the last 3 weeks is a cockeral. I have 2 Delawares that are the same age and this one is bigger than the other one and has a lot of "smut" on the back which I understood to be an indicator of roo-ness. Additionally, he is the friendliest and always wants to come out and sit on my hand or shoulder. I have a home for him with someone who wants a rooster (and I can't keep them due to city ordinances), but now I'm wondering if it is really a rooster.

Most of the DE roos that I've seen in this thread have significant red combs and wattles by this age and have striped tail feathers. "Mr. DE" has just the pailest of pink in the wattle area, nothing that sticks out yet and a small yellowish/pinkish comb that is the same size as the other Delaware's and just a shade pinker. I looked at the tail feathers and the outside ones are white and the inside ones are either solid black or black on one whole side. I covet your opinions! Here are a couple pictures of "him" at 4 weeks (one with the smaller DE)

587_110422_dd_2.jpg

587_110422_dd_dl_2.jpg

Quote:
Very very likely they are related to Floozy!
lol.png

Hey, those girls don't look bad at all. You and Nicole have the oldest offspring from my Delaware pen. I have only chicks myself. I am so happy to see your pictures. Thanks so much!

Quote:
Very very likely they are related to Floozy!
lol.png

Hey, those girls don't look bad at all. You and Nicole have the oldest offspring from my Delaware pen. I have only chicks myself. I am so happy to see your pictures. Thanks so much!

Oh I do need to get pictures, don't I? I'm sorry I've been slacking!!!!! Give me a few hours! The hen I've still got is just gorgeous! And she LOVES to scratch around the pasture!

thanks Speckledhen and Lotsapaints. I'll hold off on sending "her" to the farm for a couple weeks. Hmm, that would mean that I have 7 hens and I'm only allowed 6. Hopefully they will keep running around enough that no body will be able to count them. I have 2 speckled sussex, 2 golden SL, and maybe 2 DE (and one EE). If anyone tries to stand at the side gate and count, they will be barked at, which should chase the hens into the coop. right?
wink.png

Got some updated pics of my adult flock today. Let em out for a bit and they took advantage of the handful of scratch I put out to keep em in one spot
big_smile.png

Kathy, I got several shots of the pullet from your batch. She's filling out slow, but is built to have a beautiful shape once she's all done
smile.png

62442_5-3-2011_010.jpg

62442_5-3-2011_004.jpg

62442_5-3-2011_003.jpg

And here's the group she's in with, 3 hens from the quad I picked up a few months ago and Big Guy, my main Del Roo
62442_5-3-2011_009.jpg

ooohhh...! X2farm - Lovely just lovely!
big_smile.png
Hillbilly hen and Sdeneen2001, talk about cuteness overload! Pinkchick: those girls are beautiful! I can't wait to have more Dellies!!
wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom