Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

Quote:
See what I mean! Tell me why the leg color is so different on Stevenson's and mine. We both have stock from the same breeder. It has to be the feed. Don't ya think? I feed Purina Game Bird Chow. I do not use scratch or corn supplements.

The other difference between us is that mine are outside and his are inside. Would that make a difference?

Last edited:
Quote:
See what I mean! Tell me why the leg color is so different on Stevenson's and mine. We both have stock from the same breeder. It has to be the feed. Don't ya think? I feed Purina Game Bird Chow. I do not use scratch or corn supplements.

The other difference between us is that mine are outside and his are inside. Would that make a difference?

The legs and beaks r very nicly colored. Couldn't telll ya if that has to do with feed or not.

Quote:
I've been researching feeds and corn does make chicken skin more yellow. Alfalfa also affects skin color, making it more yellow.

Kim

I don't know if you can see from my pics, but I am starting to notice the slightest yellow color in the feathering of my birds as well.

Quote:
Yes, I do see that. Mine do not have that at all. Mine are a couple weeks older than yours too. Feed must have something to do with this dilemma. Don't ya think? I wonder what the ingredients to your feed are. Is it corn based?

Yellowing in white feathers has two sources. Corn in the feed, and sun exposure. So if they are constantly out enjoying the sun they will yellow. This is one of the reasons they don't let show birds free range after a molt.

Laney

This is your feed, Michael. It is the marigold extract! That is it!

NatureWise
00ae.png
Chick Starter Grower
NatureWise Chick Starters Med and Non Med

Expertly designed and formulated for natural, balanced nutrition to support strong and healthy growing chicks.

A complete, nutritious vegetarian diet—no need for supplementation
18% protein to support muscle development and weight gain
Fortified with vitamins and minerals to support healthy growth and development
Contains a proprietary blend of nutrients to support the immune system and overall health of the bird
NO added hormones
Added marigold extract to improve skin coloration
Added prebiotics, probiotics and yeast culture that support digestion for chicks
Crumble form encourages feeding
Available regionally in medicated and non-medicated versions. Ask your local Nutrena retailer about availability in your area.

Quote:
Mine are still staying in the coop all the time (I am going to be finishing the temporary run tomorrow). There are plenty of windows, but I think it must be the feed that is making the feathers turn yellow.

Last year I got this information from several sources, when I was asking about the lack of yellow legs in Barred Rocks....

Kathy I would feed some kale and the orange squash and pumkin. That might help bring out more color in the legs and skin. Cantalope too will be good, my chickens are loving it with this hot weather. Farmer markets have real cheap but real good veggi for sale right now. What we do not finish always goes to the chickens at this time of the year.

Since y'all seem interested I will give you my take on this. This will be the short short version.
First off google Xanthophyll to find out the particulars on it.

Some of the highest concentration of Xanthophyll is found in Marigold extract( Tagetes), but also in Corn Gluten and Green grasses.
If you are wanting to feed the Purina feed with all this in it you need Honor Show Chow. It is a 22% starter, I just tell my Purina dealer to order it. Keep in mind that it is about $16.50 a bag.
The 4-H Broiler kids use it because they have to have yellow legs and fat.

Egg yolk is full of it also, that is why when a chick is hatched and sucks the yolk up into its stomach, the chicks legs are yellow for the first 5-6 weeks of its life. It they aren't I get rid of them.

I read in some book that Spinach is high in Xanthophyll. Claudia grows spinach all spring and then drys it and vacuum packs it for me to use starting about now. When I start separating my show birds they get some in their feed.
I also give my birds lots of Alfalfa, like for bedding or even sifted for feed.
I also use Corn Gluten meal for some of my older birds, I mix into the feed.

For the most part just green grass and Honor Show chow should be all you need. But being who we are and doing what we do for fun-- I like to go over board once in a while. Drives my wife nuts.

I did a lot of research on this and I am only giving the high points but I did write an article on it. Which I have recently expanded.

The Purina (Honor) Show Chow/Broiler Complete lists "Taegetes" on the label. That is the genus name for marigolds. The feed itself is quite yellow in color. It does help with yellow legs if the bird has the genetics to do so. It does not turn my white rock LF feathers yellow, no matter how long they are on it. But, I've heard from several folks that their white birds did turn yellowish. Perhaps the "silver gene" helps prevent the feathers from turning yellow?

I've had great luck with Honor Show Chow (Broiler Complete); and the birds love it more than any other feed. Too bad, it's the most expensive feed. Due to the cost, I only use it for the first month or two on most of my chicks. Currently $16.25/50 lbs. For me it is the finishing part of the bird where I need the yellow the most. If I take them off of it and return them to a regular feed then I have to put more additives in the feed to keep the legs Yellow.
My birds that are just free ranging and have access to all the fresh green grass they want will have good yellow leg color. Of coarse those are birds I can't show for one reason or another.

I have also found that it is easier to keep the legs yellow than to try to reclaim the yellow after lost. It may take 4-6 weeks to get it back.

By the way it is spelled Tagetes for those Googling. You can buy the extract alone, I haven't needed to yet.
At this time of year pumkin and squash are a great choise for betacarrtone which gives you yellow. Chickens love them also.
Are we talking about yellow legs or yellow legs on barred rocks? Those large fowl Barreds in the first pic are way too young to be judged for color. Were their eyes even red bay yet? The pullet in that pic has good color for her age and will have awesome leg color at 12-13 months, I won’t consider a large fowl Barred grown until that stage. Barreds are basically black birds with an inhibitor of black or they would have slate legs. A female will never have solid yellow legs or beak because she only has one gene. The standard allows for this. Males usually have pretty good leg color but some won’t. Let’s not compare barreds with whites when talking leg color.
As far as breeding, you should avoid green peppering and choose as yellow and as solid yellow as possible.
I believe you are a little mixed up on leg color genetics. Sex linked Barring gene (B) inhibits eumelanin formation in the dermis (under layer of leg skin) not the epidermis (the outer layer). Slate shanks consist of a dark dermis and a clear, whitish epidermis. Yellow is found only in the epidermis, never the dermis. If anyone doubts this, butcher one of these birds, cut off the leg at the hock joint, and peel back the outer layer of skin. The shank dermis in Barred Rocks is white as the result of another gene, Id. Barred Rocks have a yellow epidermis, but that is often obscured by eumelanin pigment which carries down from the black pigmentation in the feathers. Feathers are an extension of the epidermis. Females are darker than males, hence their legs are also darker.
While I am not a Rock breeder I do have birds with yellow ( Cornish) and willow (BB Red Moderns) legs and getting the legs yellow is an issue with them.

Can I ask why no one has mentioned getting the legs yellow by increasing the Xanthophyll?
Maybe there is something about Rocks that works different but I don't think so. Although I know with my Cornish and Moderns the yellow is prominent at a young age but fades as it gets older, apparently it is the opposite in Rocks.

Also the Standard takes into consideration the loss of yellow in Females that are in egg production because eggs use up the available Xanthophyll, hence yellow egg yolks.

Excuse me if I am talking out of turn here it is just that yellow/willow legs are a pet peeve of mine.
I used that Purina Show Chow Broiler Feed on my daughter's White Leghorns and they had the best yellow legs and they also had yellow ear lobes and yellow feathers. All things in moderation. Your theory agrees with my genetic book:)
what is high in xanthophyll I can feed my Brahmas?
Its a feed additive made from corn or marigolds, I believe. Purina has it in it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom