Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

I just love Floozy! She is a real character. None of my Dels have gone broody, much to my surprise, considering they come from broody lines. That's okay, though. Don't really need any broodies this year. I can't even break my blue Orp, Dusty, who has been sitting now for almost three weeks. I took her infertile eggs a week ago and keep tossing her out of the nests, blocking them off at night so she has to roost, etc. It's maddening!
barnie.gif

Thanks Cyn. We all love Floozy, too. She is entertaining, for sure! Yesterday we had our routine dusting, but decided to do the "dip" instead (concentrated permethrin in water). Oh boy, Floozy raised cane! She squawked and flapped the whole time, even though most of the others didn't seem to mind.
4.gif
Today she got moved to the layers coop with most of the other girls (40 breeder girls are getting a break for the hot summer). She is letting them all know that she wants to be Ms Alpha hen already. So far she has not been on a nest though. Hoping all the moving and commotion has broke her broody.

Quote:
hmm... gives me some thoughts about the pile of ash trees that are supposed to be cut up soon for the winter wood stove..

It does look great .. in a rustic sort of way..
big_smile.png

now to convince someone else of that idea.
wink.png

Quote:
Kathy,

What percentage of your del hens go broody each year?... If that's something you keep track of...

Quote:
Well, I don't think he looks bad at all. I think he will be a great sire for your flock.
My stock, really? Cool! Where did you get them? I don't really have much of my stock out there.

Quote:
I don't have that many Delaware breeders. Actually, I have culled down to only 6 currently, and am about to cut to 2 hens and my cock. Floozy is my only Delaware to go broody, and I am keeping her.

Last edited:
Quote:
I would be interested how well "broodiness" passes on to the future offspring.. If you're continuing that line..
In the future, once I get done with the MANY other things I want to "test" breed for. Broodiness is one of those things on my list-o-traits.

Last edited:
Quote:
I got him and one pullet that is also from your stock from x2farm. I think she said she hatched them from your eggs. She is the one that is closest to the fence in front, next to the one by the bowl in this picture:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/sheps4her/DSCI0068.jpg

These four came originally from bargain which I believe came from speckledhen's eggs. I think that is correct.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj171/sheps4her/DSCI0080-1.jpg

I am trying to learn the sop so I know what to look for...have not even tried to learn the genetics that you guys talk about yet.
gig.gif
Maybe one day I will understand it all. For now, I just know that I have fallen head over heals for this breed!
love.gif

Quote:
Thanks! She is something else. She insisted on talking to them when we took them out of the car, and when I turned around that is what I saw. I said to her, why do you have to lay on top of the cage to talk to them?? She says,"Oh mommy, because I just do!" Like I should know that is how you must speak to new chickens.
lau.gif

Hey Sheps! I'm SO glad you're enjoying them
smile.png
They look like they're enjoyin yall! That pic of your daughter is PRECIOUS!!!

I'm glad we met with yall on Friday, that night, someone stole some of my birds, and I think they would have stolen those too, if they'd still been here.

I hope you do well with them. I know the Del folks here will be more then willing to give you advice and whatnot. They're good folks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom