Show off your Delawares! *PIC HEAVY*

No, I do not have it anymore! Sometimes my blackberry is a pain! I think that samantha was planning on sending some pics and a story by the end of the month!

-alisha

Hay you Delaware nuts how the breeding going I am up to 51 birds 8 Jersey's and the rest are Del's
of coarse witch 18 are my own birds, sorry I don't have any pics.

The Heirloom Festival was a blast, but there weren't any Delawares on display! I wish I could have brought some of mine, but there just wasn't any way to get them there and back. We were only able to be there for one day (Wed).

And I am sorry to report that my hopes of breeding my own line of Dels ended when my wife declared, in no uncertain terms, "NO MORE ROOSTERS!" So Rexx and his boys are now resting in the fridge. On the plus side, we are getting a lot more sleep! (Rexx had developed the unfortunate habit of crowing nonstop from about 3:45 AM until dawn.)

We did get a few pullets out of him, but only one really looks like a Del, and it might actually be from a NHR hen. We do have a beautiful "Delawahma" - almost the spitting image of her mother the Light Brahma, but with some unmistakable Del character; and a couple of pretty Delawegger pullets.

Wish I could figure out a way to raise roosters here without inflicting their incessant racket on my wife or our neighbors, but for now, it's all girly in the chicken yard. Good to see so many of you here who are continuing with the work! Carry on!

Quote:
It was great to meet you in person! I'm sorry about Rexx.
sad.png

I thought that someone would have Dels at that show, since there are a few breeders in CA and I saw one at the Stockton show. It was disappointing that there weren't any there.
I had so many people ask me about chickens! BYC needs to have a table there next time. I did recommend Delawares to quite a few people.

Kim

I met capayvalleychick at the Heirloom Festival! She was very nice and a pleasure to chat with.
smile.png

It was a bit disappointing to see no Delawares at the show, I did see a very large Light Sussex that from across the room I though was a Del boy though. I rushed across to the cage only to find out it wasn't.
sad.png

AlbionWood, it's terrible to hear that you had to send Rexx to freezer camp, from the pictures I remember seeing of him he was a nice example of a male.

It was tough killing Rexx, he was kind of my pal, but the wife couldn't take any more of his constant screaming. He was pretty, but a little on the small side, I think: just about 8 pounds live weight at 18 months. And he had a persistent fungal infection on his comb that we could control, but never quite eradicate.

Wish I could have figured out a way to bring him down there, probably could have sold him to one of you!

Capayvalleychick, it was great to meet you and talk chickens & pigs. Your Dorking roo was a pretty boy, my wife liked him... as long as he didn't crow!
wink.png

Quote:

Hopefully people will start showing Dels - I looked at the Mountain State Fair in Asheville, and there was a Light Sussex marked as a Delaware that had a blue ribbon. I hit the roof!!!

At this point I hope to bring a few to Crossroads and the Ohio show - I think for the exposure if nothing else. The Delaware Club National meet is at Crossroads, so it would be nice if there were a few Dels there.
wink.png

I am sorry about Rexx, too. I have one 4:15 screamer, but I can't figure out which one he is. I don't feel like rushing out that early to see which one is doing it.

Back
Top Bottom