Show Off Your Games!

It a long project I bet I'm gonna try to breed the asil down hide it best I can my asil are accurate and deep I'm trying to add that br speed

Last edited:
Examples are Greys (Silver duckwings) In my experience with breeding a true grey (silver duckwing) cock to a red hen... ...has always produced silver pullets and golden cockerels, cockerels are split for silver and red making them golden. Breeding a red cock to a grey (silver duckwing) hen... ...has always produced golden cockerels and red pullets I am not a genetics expert, I am just sharing my experience. Other color bases will work the same way as I just explained. On rare occasions there seems to be a few exceptions to the rule depending on the line. In this example as I explained it the cocks and hens need to be pure for the color explained. Some red lines are a deeper red and on the color crosses you can get cockerels with deep red shoulders making it a bit more difficult to get clean greys.
Wow thanks for the info. It seems i got it the other way around. Btw, for the pure grey cock to red hen what'd be the color of the stags and pullets as they hatch? Thanks!

Off color, hehe.. I like how grey is always an "off color" to the gamefowlers, genetically though a pure silver grey color is dominant to red color when breeding.  I stress pure, because undoubtedly many of the "grey" lines of American Game have some red crossed into them, so can get them genes popping up from time to time with throwbacks.  You have to further consider the "silver" and "gold" types of greys that concern the "S" and "s" genes represented as such by their respective breeders, etc, etc.  Simply put what most find is a silver grey bred to red will give you mostly gold greys, gold greys bred together can give you reds popping up from time to time.  Have never seen reds bred to reds that ended up giving anything other than some sort of red.  But this is just simplified generalities as gamefowl shouldn't have been bred to strict color standards, color after all was just the beautiful window dressing byproduct on the outside of the package the game breeder was looking for.

Interesting... So that means that the silver "S" gene is dominant to the red gene? Is it true that that gene (silver) is a sex-link?

It a long project I bet I'm gonna try to breed the asil down hide it best I can my asil are accurate and deep I'm trying to add that br speed

I'm with you man. Got a friend who has the same project too. His asils are accurate and powerful but they lack speed. Now he's crossing them to his sweaters. He's down to 1/4 asil blood they got speed but not the speed you want for a good roo.

I think an eight or sixteenth of the asil blood would do the trick. Depends on what you want to achieve. My friend here breeds for the offbeat style of the asil.

"Genetics of the Fowl" by Hutt says it is sex linked though I didn't delve too deeply into the info to see just how it acts, etc. Just recognize the dominance of the grey over red color in personal game breeding and didn't get too involved in the hen/cock dynamic associated with the "silver" and "gold" breeding discussed in the literature. Is quite the book for those interested in the genetics and genetic findings by those experimenting with fowl breeding over the years.

the two black hens are half asil half brown red breeding back to pure brown cock

"Genetics of the Fowl" by Hutt says it is sex linked though I didn't delve too deeply into the info to see just how it acts, etc.  Just recognize the dominance of the grey over red color in personal game breeding and didn't get too involved in the hen/cock dynamic associated with the "silver" and "gold" breeding discussed in the literature.  Is quite the book for those interested in the genetics and genetic findings by those experimenting with fowl breeding over the years.

Thanks I'll be looking into it. I'm really interested in fowl genetics probably one of the main reasons why I'm into chickens.

Back
Top Bottom