Show Off Your Games!

Here's an update of the "baby" on the yard, 8 month old Whitehackle (carrying 1/4 roundhead blood currently) stag. He's got a decent station, and is finally filling out in the body. I am hoping he will mature out to at least five and a half pounds, but if not, I still like him. Now if only he had a larger tail, perhaps that'll come with age?

7779__preview_15.jpeg

-Daniel

Quote:
I want to say "yes", the first set of feathers (not downy) does show white in the feathers. But it isn't to the same degree at first, mostly white specks if I remember correctly. My memory is fuzzy on that right now though..

Here are the "old" hens, his mother and aunt. They are pure Morgan's.
800px-Morgan.JPG
(mom)
2v99i7l.jpg

This one I don't show people often, but she is half whitehackle and half roundhead. There are two sisters, she came spangle while the other looks like a roundhead with "I think" a white wing feather or two.
20prpya.jpg

Hey found this in the Oklahoma Craig's list, there is a phone number if interested! Lynn

transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
** White Asil Hens** - $15 (South of Tahlequah)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-01-21, 5:14PM CST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pure white Asil female chickens for sale. 1 hen, 3 mature pullets, $15 each. 2 pullets that are 4 months old, $10 each.
One baby rooster, 4 months old, $20.

Asil hens are excellent mothers and setters. I have used them to hatch everything from bobwhite quail to full-sized goose eggs. They are very dedicated sitters, and the hens are gentle with the babies, with people, and each other. All are pure white, and are on the small side. They weigh around 3 1/2 pounds, which is bigger than a banty hen, but not as big as a Rhode Island type hen.

The males MUST be housed in separate pens from other roosters. They will not tolerate the company of any other males, but are very sweet to their hens and are not mean to people. Picture is the daddy of the baby rooster and all of the pullets.

Call 918-316-2939, leave voice mail if no answer. Only calls and voice-mails will be answered, NO EMAIL, NO TEXT.

Quote:
If they are pure Asil, this could be the bargain of the century. Doubtfull about the purity, though. If the pullets will be 3 1/2 lbs when grown, the stag should cock out from 5-6 lbs, which is about right for Reza Asils. Ask a lot of questions if you check them out...........Pop

I've got a quick question about my American Game cockerel...he's just about 10 months old or so now, and has suddenly become very annoyingly noisy. He crows round the clock, at least three or four times an hour, and basically nonstop from 4 am to noon. I love him, he's a gorgeous rooster with such a big personality, but it's getting to the point where he's keeping us from sleeping and I worry the neighbors will complain...

Is this normal behavior for the breed or did I just get a particularly noisy one? I really like the breed and want to raise them, but if this is how the cocks are going to be, I'm not going to be able to keep one! Currently I have to put him in a covered cage in my shed at night so I can sleep through the night, but then he is still crowing all day long once he is loose, making the other roosters (Cochin and Old English Bantam) who are normally quiet get nervous and crow along with him to defend their flocks, and it's giving me such a headache. I need to decide whether to keep this guy or get rid of him and just use my (quiet!) Old English cock with my game hens, I'm not breeding for show birds, I want them for self-sustaining/free-range egg production so purebred isn't a huge deal (thinking about mixing some leghorn hens in the flock anyway), but since they're rather uncommon, I'd like the option of being able to produce purebred stock...but not at the cost of my sleep and sanity!

Quote:
The only time I have had a reliably quite American Games rooster is when he was on a walk (free range / almost feral) where predator pressure was heavy. Crowing was then resticted to around dawn. I do not know how replicate such results with same birds under less threatening conditions. You are thus at mercy of individual variation between birds. Roosters crowing in distance and hens in laying mode seem to increase crowing.

Back
Top Bottom