Show Off Your Games!

Quote:
These redquills carry the blood of a wheaton colored line called Murphy whitehackles. So it is not commonly found in redquills, however it can happen from time to time. The stag in the picture is close to a brown breasted brown red, but he is carp legged (meaning the green and yellow mottling pattern you see)

My "redquil / brownreds" have are either gray or green legged, usually with dark eyes. My flock does not breed true in respect to redquil as nearly half are close to being black-breasted red with some brown mottling on breast. Occasional true black-breasted reds do pop up once in a while. What mature weight do your birds typically reach?

they are in the 5lb range, the guy I got them from said sometimes they will hit the low 6lbs. Green legs is preferred in quills but most of mine are blue. Also dark eyes are preferred and dark mulberry faced hens.

Quote:
I see, thanks. A strain that used to figure heavily in respect to appearance of my flock were called Doc Kneifords where hens were black skinned and feathers, especially on hens were nearly all black. We no longer see black birds in what I have left.

can't say I recognize that name, but there's more names in quills then folks think. There's Nations, Herring, Staggs, Eslin, McCleary, McCarty, Tye and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. The ones I have actually came out of Missouri, they're McCarty line.

Quote:
Mine are out of southern Indiana and Kentucky along lower Ohio river. Some of the names appear to be extremely local in terms of where they are recognized.

Will you be breeding your redquils this season? I am looking to infuse some new blood into my line, just a little, to preserve vigor.

i will have to find out how to post pics, I have some what i think are nice representatives of show fowl. Pure Sweater, some and BYC call them grey SDW, and pumpkin hulsey. The pumpkin line is from a friend who got them direct from carter SR, and was hell bent on preserving lines. And My sweaters are from a very good friend of mine who has been breeding them in ramona for about 50 years. He is also getting his grey line going again and I got a 3 month old stag and a few good grey hens. I am excited!!

Well I'm excited. My Shamos finally have some babies now. . .
smile.png
These are some eggs I've been incubating for a while, now hatched 2 days early.

5405051690_4c4fe68f5f.jpg

5405046248_7d365f4dba.jpg

Parents.

5405615604_f94af71a65.jpg

5405616858_887aa85601.jpg

And, a hilariously odd looking fence fight. . . Frizzled Polish X Shamo. The Polish started it, and he always does. The Shamo free ranges, the Polish is in a run, so of course when the two meet up, the Polish always has to run right up there and try to beat him off. Luckily no damage ever happens by the time I break them up. Since the Shamo is more of an intimidation and neck-locking fighter, the Polish is more of a spurs-on kind of guy, that's basically what happens. . . The Shamo stands there like shown, and the Polish jumps up and down all the time.

5405015485_64b6b0fd34.jpg

Back
Top Bottom