Show Off Your Games!

I recently purchased from ebay an assorted dozen of Blue Asils(got 7 eggs) and Spangled and Wheaten Bantam Shamo(6 eggs), They are on day 4. There are 5 of 6 shamo eggs growing
wee.gif
<--- I think thats the only way to describe how I feel
lol.png
as for the Asils, I can only see in 2 eggs because they are darker. Both of those eggs are growing. In his pen of Asils he has 3 splash hens and 1 blue hen in with a splash cock. Wish me luck that I will get a blue chick! There is only a 50% chance i will get a blue from her eggs and thats if they hatch at all. I will post pics when they hatch

Quote:
Maybe they should try silkies....isnt this thread call Show off your 'GAMES'?

Oh my don't get Cuda started on Silkies.
lol.png

Chris

what about silkies? its odd, i used to here so much about silkies being used to brood game cock eggs/chicks, but in own experience and on here, the game hens seem to do better on their own. wonder why even bother with silkies, and mos just didnt keep some lesser quality or just extra hens to brood (if wanting more production out of their hens, and less stress on desirable ones), unless just good excuse to own the silkie softness.. ??? or are silkies really that much better/are the best, and stress less from being broody for so long/much? i have one hen i decided to snap out of broodiness as she was healthy over all but just so light, and stressed from trying to guard and keep her nest neat, she would hardly come out to et and drink and i had to slip her goodies and drag her out kicking and screaming to do something, as she was brooding the stolen eggs of others even for two months (she is super broody, which is odd as two other sid taylor are not broody at all, but one just acquired by friend apparently is, as i saw her yesterday brooding a feathering out chick, and already brooding the eggs of eight others. yeah, i got the two by me, and now his others are laying like crazy n spurts, and my production is horrible. coincidence (im thinking not..)??? i just figured games were easy as ones i had in past i only fed scraps, treats, and the ate the dogs food, and whatever they were constantly chasing and foraging for.

I have had bad luck buying eggs off of ebay, out of 28 eggs I got four chicks, and the descriptions are not what hatched lol

Last edited:
Heres some pics of my chicks with differing levels of sumatra and american gamefowl blood. They are doubled in size now and out free ranging.
IMG_5419.jpg

IMG_5417.jpg

Anyone know the genetics of hennie games, on a side note?

Quote:
First follow link: http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co ... ct/75/2/99

Hennie phenotype exists at two levels, 1) enzyme activity in skin and 2) feather structure as influenced by enzyme activity. The henny trait is codominant at the level of aromatase activity. Even when aromatase activity of heterozygote is only 50% of same activity in homozygote, 50% activity is still high enough to produce a phenotype (hen) at the feather level that is same for birds homozygous for henny the gene. Therefore at feather level, hennie dominant.

Based on what I interpreted above, pure hennies will produce only the henny phenotype in offspring, regardless of who they are mated to, including other hennies. A individual that is heterozygous for the henny trait will throw offspring that are hennie in phenotype or not, no in betweens. Former will be heterozygous like parent while latter will be homozygous for not carrying trait.

Back
Top Bottom