Show Off Your Games!

Quote:
I learned my lesson with Cackle. If you are looking for yard birds that are called "Game" they would be great. If you are looking for true representatives of the breed look to a breeder of Americans.

What were your Cackle OEGs like? Did their conformation/coloration not look near as good as breeder's Games? Were the hens broody often and fierce protective mothers, or were they just layers? Any other info? The fact that I'd be able to pick them up at my local Post Office, I admit, is rather attractive.
hide.gif

Quote:
I learned my lesson with Cackle. If you are looking for yard birds that are called "Game" they would be great. If you are looking for true representatives of the breed look to a breeder of Americans.

What were your Cackle OEGs like? Did their conformation/coloration not look near as good as breeder's Games? Were the hens broody often and fierce protective mothers, or were they just layers? Any other info? The fact that I'd be able to pick them up at my local Post Office, I admit, is rather attractive.
hide.gif

They ran a lttle light as in did not muscle up. Breastkeel seemed short, meaning to me poor flight capacity. Feathers of tail not as consistently symmetrical as I like. They were also a bit flighty. They do appear to lay better than average.

if your going for hatchery stock, itd be better all around to just find cock, and then mate him to someone's layers, and buy bator for eggs, and brooder. itd be cheaper and better quality.. lol

when i mate game cocks to layers, they come out great hens with some toughness and all around good, but when do opposite, i seem to come out with game hens, but they kill the males as chicks (males probably not game enough to compete and seen as weak so eliminated upon or soon after hatching). ive seperated and raised separate to test if was right when they attack and try to kill some in the bator still even, and those are almost always the males from the game hen to other cock cross.

Last edited:
Quote:

hide.gif

I guess they might have turned out alright, but I culled or gave away most of them before they were much over a year. Mostly because they are just not game and were extremely skittish, they would almost break their neck trying to get away from me when I would open the pen for feeding. They were pretty crazy and the one stag I did keep, a Brown Breasted Brown Red that showed promise ended up having an odd stance, tail that leaned too far to the head, a real heavy bill, and when he started to try and spur me when I went to feed he had to go.

I have one hen left that did eventually set up, the only one out of six. She is raising some pure Americauna Bantams she hatched out and so far has been a very good mother.

Also, any birds you order from good breeders will show up at your post office, all birds ordered anywhere show up in the mail. So basically out of 10 birds I have one hen.

Quote:
I sent you a pm Chris.
Asil's are going well, didn't get as many hatched as I wanted to this year, but real happy with the ones I did.
These are current pics of this years oldest stags. Hatched 1/11/11.
43076_v__b514.jpg

And his brother from another mother. Moms a black rampuri.
43076_wp_000216.jpg

Quote:
I sent you a pm Chris.
Asil's are going well, didn't get as many hatched as I wanted to this year, but real happy with the ones I did.
These are current pics of this years oldest stags. Hatched 1/11/11.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/43076_v__b514.jpg

And his brother from another mother. Moms a black rampuri.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/43076_wp_000216.jpg

Nice looking birds, Chief. Did you make that cross hoping for a spangled? The black one sure took after Mom. Our buddy Jeff started with black Asils and got some white sports. Now he has a line of white Asils. Dunno if I mentioned that before........Pop

Thanks, Pop. Actually, I was hoping the white might dilute the black and I could eventually get some blue. A couple of the pullets have some white feathers here and there. I think if I breed them back to a white I bet I'll get some spangle. Not exactly the result I was shooting for, but they sure are nice.
I think you did tell me that jeff's whites were sports from his blacks. Maybe one of these days I'll have some he might be willing to trade for.

Quote:
I've got Blues if you want some. I carried 4 Blues to buck yesterday (and 2 spangles). I have Blue, Blue Red, Blue Gold and Blue mix. I also have a nice looking Blue Laced pullet.

Back
Top Bottom