Show Off Your Games!

Well, I would hope debate is good, how else you going to learn, I can look at pictures all day and get no where....its the name calling mud slinging I can do without. Sometimes there needs to be a referee...as in most debates...haha. but fairly new to this, color as kinda important and subtle differences are the debate. I do know horses though and most people make a mistake of calling there horse black...when a true black is rare...most are mahogany brown, if they show even a highlight of brown on their hair they are not black. Just referencing. I thought duckwing meant the pattern on the wing...not just specific colors on it...thanks for pointing that out.

Thats exactly what I was getting at matter of fact I posted that and deleted it though it might be too far out for most to get.

It doesn't matter if your dealing with silkies or maylays color is color red=gold=s+. duckwings have the blue or beetle green(sometimes) in the wing bar and the color of the triangle is the prefix to the duckwing part simple

Theres a whole "nuther" world out there that has duckwings besides just games and too on the test breeding if you go back far enough in my post on this you will find I said exactly that to find out what they were to do test mating but SOMEONE on here(not to mention any names CUDA) had to butt in start showing how smart he was and and I've seen him inaction before (I don't know why he even comes here if he is so "more mightier than though") but Jungleexplorer if you want a golden duck wing male the BEST chances of creating that color pattern is to take your BBRs(red/gold duckwing) male and cross them with whatever closely resembles Silver duckwings in hen you have it a simple sex linkable crossing gold x silver cross and you will get golden duckwing colors from them. I dont know how many or how pure but you will get a few surely. In other words to all that aren't hung up on color patterns in the gamefowl world a red over grey= golden simple as that.

Thanks again for the breeding advice. I will give it a try next spring. But here is another question. Am I wrong in my thinking that while a Golden Duckwing is a sex link (cross), the Silver Duckwing is not? So, If I breed my GD with this hen I would probably get a Silver Duckwing rooster, right?

One more question. Am I wrong to call the above hen a Golden Duckwing? I only ask this because when I was doing searches for pictures of GDs, I ran across this rendition and the above hen is the smitten image of the one in the rendition.

Sorry for so many questions, but how important is leg color when it comes to standards? I only ask, because on another forum ( I will not name because they treated me very bad for no reason), it seemed that they were obsessed with leg color, namely GREEN. But I was looking for standards for OEGs and all their legs appear to be white. No one on here has ever mentioned it and that is why I am curios.

Oh and everyone, try not to get into arguments because of my stupid questions. I just like learning. Let's all be respectful and enjoy our birds.

Umm....I think a couple of your girls strayed LOL. Good looking fowl there Jungle!

Thanks. I don't think any of my girls strayed, but it is possible that another jumped in the pen and laid an egg. The breeding birds were in open top 60 foot by 60 foot pen and all had their wings clipped but the rest of my flock were roaming free range. Because I got rid of all of my other roosters of other breeds when I started breeding Games and only had the one BBR, I was not worried about another rooster jumping in and mating. I had to do it this way because my Game hens refused to start laying while in breeding cage. My Game hens are very wild and prefer laying in the bushes. They won't even go to a nest if you are looking. Sometimes one will go missing and I will think a predator got her and then one day she will be back, and then disappear again. When I see her next, I will have to watch her from a far distance and she will do all kinds of weird random patterns before she will go to her nest, sometimes way far away out in the woods under a fallen tree or something. It is quite interesting to watch.

Hey jungle, would that barred cockerel you got be called creole? He would make a good fly cape...they go for 50 to 150 bucks each (tee hee) just kidding. But I do find theses games very interesting and most threads seem to peter out with arguments...guess the owners are scappy just like their birds no? Gee, I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I jumped on this thread to liven it up since there wasn't much going on here...glad to see many people and their birds. PS...I am not easily offended myself. Diversity is what makes Americans so unique...no one can actually say the heritage ESP where I am..it is all so covert...most of the formula dies out when the breeders did...they did not share their secret formulas much. Its a mystery.

That's how mine do jungle...off into the wilderness. (I believe if you Google ag games you will see he is a creole color) all game...from way down south. Must have had some flyer miles saved up. But I digress...my hen will come back to feeding time then disappear...then I go find the nest and bring her and it back to safety...skunks,possums and coons will destroy the eggs. After three days I let her at lib and she'll stay put. If I had many broodies I wouldn't worry about it...but I really free range right now, and don't know that I will ever just pen them up. Just were I am right now...natural selection..its tough.

Thanks. I don't think any of my girls strayed, but it is possible that another jumped in the pen and laid an egg. The breeding birds were in open top 60 foot by 60 foot pen and all had their wings clipped but the rest of my flock were roaming free range. Because I got rid of all of my other roosters of other breeds when I started breeding Games and only had the one BBR, I was not worried about another rooster jumping in and mating. I had to do it this way because my Game hens refused to start laying while in breeding cage. My Game hens are very wild and prefer laying in the bushes. They won't even go to a nest if you are looking. Sometimes one will go missing and I will think a predator got her and then one day she will be back, and then disappear again. When I see her next, I will have to watch her from a far distance and she will do all kinds of weird random patterns before she will go to her nest, sometimes way far away out in the woods under a fallen tree or something. It is quite interesting to watch.
Just a little humor. It was these two that got me scratching my head though.........

If you can it's nice to single mate so you know who's producing what. Even with one rooster you can rotate him between hens individually penned.

I've been told any color leg is fine with ag. Some strains call for a certain color though. I prefer black or slate grey..I think they are stronger/tougher skin,with a tihter scale..jmo.
Leg color only matters where a "family" is being bred such as a "Hatch" family is usually characterized by "green" legs, even though you will see yellow legged Hatch, etc. Hatch refers to Sandy Hatch the "originator" of the line, of course most "Hatch" fowl you see today will have little to no true Hatch blood in them. American gamefowl is a whole different game when it comes to color. You are missing the true point of gamefowl if you preoccupy with color and don't retain the nature of the bird, its strong will and desire to survive, the inherent gameness of the breed. The standards set forth by the American Gamefowl Society is a bit loose when it comes to many color issues like leg color as they are all beautiful birds and deserving of being recognized even though they may not fit nicely into a show standard.

Leg color only matters where a "family" is being bred such as a "Hatch" family is usually characterized by "green" legs, even though you will see yellow legged Hatch, etc.  Hatch refers to Sandy Hatch the "originator" of the line, of course most "Hatch" fowl you see today will have little to no true Hatch blood in them.  American gamefowl is a whole different game when it comes to color.  You are missing the true point of gamefowl if you preoccupy with color and don't retain the nature of the bird, its strong will and desire to survive, the inherent gameness of the breed.  The standards set forth by the American Gamefowl Society is a bit loose when it comes to many color issues like leg color as they are all beautiful birds and deserving of being recognized even though they may not fit nicely into a show standard.
Leg color only matters where a "family" is being bred such as a "Hatch" family is usually characterized by "green" legs, even though you will see yellow legged Hatch, etc.  Hatch refers to Sandy Hatch the "originator" of the line, of course most "Hatch" fowl you see today will have little to no true Hatch blood in them.  American gamefowl is a whole different game when it comes to color.  You are missing the true point of gamefowl if you preoccupy with color and don't retain the nature of the bird, its strong will and desire to survive, the inherent gameness of the breed.  The standards set forth by the American Gamefowl Society is a bit loose when it comes to many color issues like leg color as they are all beautiful birds and deserving of being recognized even though they may not fit nicely into a show standard.

I think this is probably the most coherent and best explanation of American games that I've ever heard. Good job!

I'm not really concerned with leg color. It's just that, on the other form of people over there were like, " If it ain' t got green legs, just shoot it, it does not deserve to live."

I got into games because of their attitudes and characteristics. Not because of their colors. That's just a bonus!

Last edited:
Jungle explorer asked
"One more question. Am I wrong to call the above hen a Golden Duckwing? I only ask this because when I was doing searches for pictures of GDs, I ran across this rendition and the above hen is the smitten image of the one in the rendition".

Technically golden Duckwing is a hybrid color Ss+ only possible in males
as females have only one copy of the chromosome bearing the "s" gene

Back
Top Bottom