Show off your house ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scovy Momma, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    @Reese7383 You say his breathing is shallow? That's exactly how Bean was acting when she was sick. Long story short, she had a bad reaction to an antibiotic, vomited, aspirated it, and developed pneumonia. Droopy head, lack of appetite and everything.

I think you need to take him to a vet ASAP. They can find out if there's an infection going on, prescribe the right antibiotic, know what to listen for when they put a stethoscope to his air sacs and can tube feed him if necessary to give him the energy he needs to pull through.

1 person likes this.
  2. Reese7383

Reese7383 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    Lamont's approximately 15 days old. His condition has not improved much. Although he has had a bit to eat and drink. His poo seems normal now. But he's started something new. Standing with his head crouched down constant peeping in despair (he has different peeps )

3. LadyHawkeAvry

LadyHawkeAvry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    Carlisle, NY
    Definitely time for a vet visit. Really young ones usually have something developmental going on, and die pretty quickly. Older babies do much better with a trip to the vet.

4. Reese7383

Apr 10, 2015
    when grazing outside closley supervised he has a few Worms, grass, peas for a treat and lettus out of the duck garden onlineoccasionally besides his regular diet..until 9pm last night. Since hes only taken from hand some crumbles and water.ive offered every hour since 8am. He's had 3 irregular poos. One last nite 2or 3am. Thick slimey yellow. 8am a mucous encased roll tinged redish orange. (Pick below ) a third at about 2pm completely liquid light brown. Somewhere in between, a 'normal pea sized turd. Since 3pm he's not gone to the bathroom.
    Up until about an hour ago (530) he seemed to be getting better. Now he just stands with his head crouched low peeping in despair (he has different peeps). 645pm he didn't take food or water he was offered.

8am poo

[​IMG]

530pm standing weird

[​IMG]

5. Reese7383

Apr 10, 2015
    Lamont is about 15 days old. He's not improved...

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Best to take him to a vet. With poop like that I would be suspicious of a bacterial infection, coccidiosis or both. A vet will be able to pick the right antibiotic and/or coccidiostat and should be willing to show you how to tube feed if you're up to it, it's much easier than people think and will save you a bunch of money if they show you how. In the meantime, best to keep him in a room or cage that's 80-85 degrees and see if you can get him to drink warm water. Here are two tubing videos:
    Crop feeding videos

These are using a crop needle, not a plastic tube.

-Kathy

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  7. Reese7383

Apr 10, 2015
    We aren't able to take him to a vet. He had seemed to be getting a little better until a a bit ago. At 630 when offered water and food he did not take it. This is the first time since 8am offering Every hour. Instant updateHe just pooed a little. any other suggestions besides a vet? [​IMG]

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

We aren't able to take him to a vet. He had seemed to be getting a little better until a a bit ago. At 630 when offered water and food he did not take it. This is the first time since 8am offering Every hour. Instant updateHe just pooed a little. any other suggestions besides a vet?

[​IMG]
    That poop looks better. What antibiotics do you have? Human, dog, cat, anything? How about Corid?

-Kathy

9. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    You people crack me up! Man I hate getting swamped and missing all the duck thread hilarium!!

Omg and SO MANY CUTE PICTURES! I may die. Just sayin.

@Amykins - Do a little research on the sock diapers before you dive in. I know lots of people use them, but I know they can cause growth defects if not used properly. I'm too chicken to try so I can't help you, but it would certainly be light enough for her if you can get then figured out!

10. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Why aren't you able to take him to the vet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by