Show off your house ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scovy Momma, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    That angers and hurts me. I can't believe how asinine some people can be. Mind your own business, idiots!! What right do they have to determine the worth of a being's life?

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I wish I knew. I hate the term "speciesist" but I can't think of any other word for it, these people just think that a duck is a dumb, useless animal, not worth saving like a cat or dog. Some have said it's not that she's a duck, but a baby, and I don't have the excuse of having bonded with her over many years. I guess we're just very different people. I loved her from day one, and any baby animal deserves a chance at life. If she were old and suffering that'd be a different story!

3. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    I just can't believe the cruel insensitivity some morons have. Whether she's a baby or whatever is nobody's business. I do know that you are happy she's thriving and your friends on BYC are, too. And although I've never in the past given ducks' intelligence any thought, I have learned the past couple years what wonderful and smart birds they are. And one more thing regarding intelligence. Is the ignorant statement such that they aren't as intelligent as a human, a dog, a cow? What are they being compared to? Ya, that makes sense, let's compare a motorcycle to a skateboard cuz they are the same and the skateboard is stupid.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  4. Skyfire

Skyfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Yes. I was mocked pretty badly at a feedstore (not the one I got my geese) when I told them my intent was to have indoor pet geese. I was there a month before I got my goslings asking lots of questions about the right kind of feed. The woman helping me said flat out what I was doing would not work. The other two people there has a good laugh. BTW, they sold me turkey feed at 28% protein saying it would be fine for goslings. I ended up not giving that feed to Jupiter, ordering Mazuri waterfowl starter instead. My adult son scorned me when I told him my plan. He doesn't even know that I've had (the one we have left) for almost four weeks. My mother in law doesn't know either. She is not a nice woman. Finding out we have a pet goose is further ammunition in trying to convince my husband I'm too eccentric. It's like we are hiding a dirty dark filthy secret.

I've also read plenty of unkind posts on this board that are very much anti-indoor pet waterfowl. One even went as far as to claim he/she took it upon themselves to report indoor pet waterfowl owners to the state board of health for having livestock in the house. How that is anyone's business is beyond me. A society (online or otherwise) does not flourish from stagnant thinking. The world would be a pretty boring place if we all think alike. At one time people may have criticized the notion of making the wolf an indoor pet, but now the dog is seen as man's best friend.

And for the record, my goose is the best companion pet I've ever had. Ever.

5. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    Seriously? I've spent hundreds/thousands of dollars vetting cats and dogs and other birds, why would a pet duck be any different? They're part of your family from the minute you get them. How could you NOT try to save them?

1 person likes this.
  6. Kangasox

Kangasox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    I don't have a house duck, and my husband won't let me have one, but we just hatched 6 Anconas, and they are one week old today. I'm pretty sure this guy could be a house duck contender. I have a special place in heart for him (keep calling him and him, no idea) because he was stuck in his shell and I helped him at 2 in the morning after he'd been externally pipped for 36 hours. I sang to him and talked while he was stuck, and I was the first thing he saw after he popped Out. his name is neville and he likes to cuddle on the couch at night and take selfies :). Last night he fell asleep on my chest. I totally adore him, and think all you house duckers are amazing. Wish I could get my husband on board!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  7. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013

Oh Sky, I'm so sorry...I'm lucky, both my parents and in-laws love Wobbles! I was initially worried that she'd flip out, but I think it helps that we don't have kids, so my mom views them as her "grandducks". [​IMG] That store clerk and BYC member hit me particularly hard. Why work at a place if you don't know what you're doing and alienate your customers? And it just chafes my hide that someone would be so malicious as to try and get a government agency, of all things, to take away their beloved house pets! I'm so happy that your house goose is living the good life, and it's amazing to me how closely they bond with people. What's his/her name?

Haaaaa it's too cute! I love it! <3 Forget your hubby, keep Neville. He'll come around eventually. Mine sure did! :p

8. Skyfire

Skyfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    Thank you for the supportive words, Amy. I've been reading your posts since I first became aware of this board in January. It is really nice to find like minded people, no matter how few in number we may be. Happiness feels even better when it is shared :)

This is Jupiter today at 25 days old. She is an American Buff and an April Fool's baby. I don't know for a fact she is a she, but I sense we've got a girl. I took pics during feeding time when she's not too inclined to pose for me, lol.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    Sweet precious Jupiter for being an indoor goose. She deserves it. Some people are: a, um, holes!! And you are right, nobody's business. What do you care what I do in my house as long as it's legal and not hurting anybody? I don't have fowl but I do have two tiny birds that collectively do not weigh an ounce and guess, what they are more or less cage free when I am in the house. I went out to the gym today and was gone for 2 hours, I came home. and the little buggers had pooped all over my floor, expensive mtn bike, kitchen counter tops. But I disinfected everything. I take care of it. Just like you guys that have indoor fowl. You diaper them, etc. I do not think it's eccentric at all. No different than having a mammal inside your house either. Your dog or cat vomits, pees, defecates in your house at times, too and that's not an issue? But a bird is? Hmmmm…...

10. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    I am in love I am in love I am in love with the web footed goosey girl eating the grass. I'd kiss her if I could...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by