Show off your house ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Scovy Momma, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    I am glad he hasn't shown any animosity towards her either. As for naughtiness, is it possible with the amount of time they may spend together that she could emulate his behavior and rip open bags of feed and whatnot? Are his hormones, other than making him hypersexual now, contributors to his cylinder attacks and cat chasing?

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I'm not sure...we had a booboo this morning, she got too excited, jumped out of my hands to play with the granola bar wrapper he got his beak on and he bit her. She's not hurt, she was just really freaked out. So from now on whenever I take her out, he gets penned. She's a hoppy little thing!

3. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    Holy Crap. Poor Bean. I am glad she is OK. I feel bad she freaked out. I would too. Give her a kiss for me. From what I have heard, older ducks can kinda be mean to youngins sometimes. But even though he did that, he's still an innocent little being. My birds are always bickering and I have had to put them in separate cages before. Good thing for her safety to pen him up when little hoppy girl is out.

4. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    She is SO hoppy! It's fun to see her get all excited, she runs and runs and runs and then five minutes later, instant nappy time! <3

I don't think Wobbles was trying to hurt her, he's just naturally bitey during the mating season and she ran right up to him in a split second and tried to snatch his crinkle toy away from him! It was just a bad situation and I should have been watching them more closely, now that she's getting bigger I should have anticipated her being able to launch outta my hands like that. :/

5. Kaessa

Kaessa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2015
    Fruita, CO
    She's a Jumping Bean.

I know, I know. I'll show myself out. [​IMG]

6. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    LOL! Well, it's true, she IS a jumping bean! [​IMG]She's also a fraidy bean. Poor thing is scared of her own shadow!

7. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    She is so energetic. Good and I wonder if it continues into her young adulthood. I bet she'll be a good runner, not the duck type but in mobility. Gotta be cute watching her get all hoppy.

Will Wobbles' hormones taper off at some point soon? Like, I know he's a young maturing male but aren't ducks seasonal breeders?

8. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Oh totally, when the season's over in a few months he'll be back to his sweet self. At least until next year when it'll start all over again. :p And yes, it's awesome watching her get stronger and start exploring! She still doesn't know anything about the world, so nothing gives me greater joy than watching her run around my room, peeping happily when she discovers something new!

9. Julie Birb

Julie Birb Ducks win

Mar 22, 2014
    Italy
    Whew, that's a relief about the boy. I just think he's a priceless duck with his personality and looks and his current antics are pretty funny. Well it's certainly rewarding for you witnessing her strong progression into adulthood and I am enjoying it too because of what she went thru. She's definitely a neat little webbed package.

10. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    -sigh- Do any of you guys get flak for having house ducks? Several times now, total strangers have either scoffed or outright antagonized me for spending so much money saving Bean. They think that a little duckling's life isn't worth it and that she's "food, not family".

It really bugs me how rude and mean-spirited some people can be. ._.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by