Show off your house ducks!

Missy surprised me today. She usually terrorizes the babies, and kills anything she can get a hold of. It was time to rotate the babies, and so I moved the khaki kids into the Inner Sanctum so I could transition them to the outside. Missy has been in there bullying the chickens and having conversations with her siblings through the open door. (She could go out if she wanted to, but I don't think she ever will...) I wholly expected to have to take her out to get her away from the babies. I called the kids over and put them in...
Before I could go over to get Missy, she put her head down, bobbing happily and emitting a loud greeting sound. I never would have expected it. The adorable killer of small birds just adopted 7 ducklings.....
Sweet and funny Missy. Having conversations with her siblings. She is funny. Are the chickens ok despite her bullying? I think it is precious she adopted the little ducklings. Do they follow her now?

Im not realy sure what happened to Pancake. I moved him and his brothers to a bigger pen with a bigger pool and stayed out there and watched them get in and out with no problem...They were great for 3 days... Then when I went to check one afternoon I didnt see him with his brothers and freaked out.. I found him in the pool dead. The water level was to the top of the kiddy pool and he was fully flighted, so I cant see how he couldnt have gotten out.. Its going to be one of those mysteries I guess. I buried him in the back by the woods in what we are now referrring to as our little pet cemetary. There are dogs, cats, chickens, ducks and even a hamster out there. On a happier note.... Here are 2 pics of 2 of my mommas that hatched out babies recently. Brownie at the top and Rosie at the bottom.
What breed is rose??? She's beautiful!

Sweet and funny Missy.  Having conversations with her siblings.  She is funny.  Are the chickens ok despite her bullying?  I think it is precious she adopted the little ducklings.  Do they follow her now?

The chickens had been the bullies of that pen until Missy decided that she liked it. It just took a few bites on the head and they recognized her as dominant. If I had just put the khaki kids in there without her, the more aggressive cockerels would have bullied them. Since they are supervised by Missy, they have not been touched by the chickens. Missy usually NEVER shares her bowl with anyone. This morning she was letting the ducklings eat and drink beside her. As she moves into adulthood that maternal instinct seems to be cropping up. I raised her and her sisters, but outside, Gunther and Mama protect them as if they were with them since hatching. I'm really happy with the broody genetics, and am hoping my Holderread order will have a nice gentleman caller for Missy.... Perhaps there will be another mid winter nest in my bathroom....

The chickens had been the bullies of that pen until Missy decided that she liked it. It just took a few bites on the head and they recognized her as dominant. If I had just put the khaki kids in there without her, the more aggressive cockerels would have bullied them. Since they are supervised by Missy, they have not been touched by the chickens. Missy usually NEVER shares her bowl with anyone. This morning she was letting the ducklings eat and drink beside her. As she moves into adulthood that maternal instinct seems to be cropping up. I raised her and her sisters, but outside, Gunther and Mama protect them as if they were with them since hatching. I'm really happy with the broody genetics, and am hoping my Holderread order will have a nice gentleman caller for Missy.... Perhaps there will be another mid winter nest in my bathroom....
How does a bird know how to restore order? Is Missy a leader of sorts like Narcissus? Another mid winter nest in your bathroom is awesome. It has to be entertaining I imagine.

Back
Top Bottom