Show off your Indian Runners!

See this is the problem she has decided to move her nest outside in the sticker bushes so last night I tried to pita shelter with an open door over the nest and she lost it! She refused to stay in it and so I took it off and she ran right back on her nest immediately. My two dogs won't even let the neighbor cat in our yard because they are so protective of our ducks but I'm so stressed out with her nesting outside. Any ideas?

One thing that might work is to "dig out" the nest and move it into the coop. That was an advice I got a few years ago, but I'm not sure whether it really works - first it appeared as if the broody had accepted the new location, but the next day the nest was trampled by the other ducks and the broody moved back to her old nesting side and went for another try.

I would just consequently prevent her from breeding outside - destroy the nest, remove the eggs but keep them, you might want to sneak them into a new nest when she has settled down again. If your coop is a little crowded she might never be successful at creating a nest there for it will get trampled every time.
If you want to allow her to nest outside you would really have to fortify her position because a simple box with an open door will not stop a predator. The presence of your dogs will be a good disencouragement at least for foxes, though.

My runner pair. The drake is gray ( wild coloured) and the duck is a trout runner, a little lighter than the usual wild colour pattern. They are not SQ, but that's why I like them.
They are so cute! I have a black runner on a nest with two pips as we speak! I actually have trout runner eggs in my incubator right now and 6 grey runner eggs are supposed to be shipped sometime next week. They are breeder to show quality just because I like the upright look but I really just like the colors the most. Yours really are gorgeous!

Oh thank you
smile.png

You have also really pretty birds!

Mine can also stand really upright but usually only when excited. They also look much slender when they do.
I pick them up every night to carry them into a small coop in the basement because the drake cannot be kept in the shed with the muscovy drake. When the scovie drake was young, the runner used to chase him around. When the Muscovy matured and his hormon level increased, the payback started. They usually get along in the pen, but in the shed where the runner cannot evade the Muscovy drake gets vicious.

They are so cute! I have a black runner on a nest with two pips as we speak! I actually have trout runner eggs in my incubator right now and 6 grey runner eggs are supposed to be shipped sometime next week. They are breeder to show quality just because I like the upright look but I really just like the colors the most. Yours really are gorgeous!
Congrats bellah on your babies to come! How is the mommy doing? Keep us updated!

My runners last baby hatch yesterday! 10 babies! It was a nighmare though 3 died trying to zip (2malpositioned and one zipped and the side was crushed) we had to assist 4 (2 malposioned, 1 crushed also and 1 came out and was stiil attached in the nest hadn't absorbed its yolk yet) all 4 survive but the crushed one almost didn't make it and it was touch and go throughout the night but she doing better just still wobbly and much smaller. I will post pics later for some reason my phone won't do it right now. Just wanted to let u all know and thanks for all the encouraging words!

Back
Top Bottom