Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Please let us know how that Incuview works out for you!  I've considered getting one as a second/backup bator.  Good luck with it!

I've used the styrofoam ones with a decent amount of success. I have an old Farm Master that will hold 500 eggs and works well. I just don't have any desire to hatch that many chicks in a season, much less at one time.

I'll let you know how this one works out. Gonna start a test hatch this weekend with some Cream Legbars, some Sebrights and some OEGB.

Last edited:
It's been running about 48 hours. Temp is very consistent at 99.5. Unless you open it, it doesn't fluctuate much. I've had the plug in so the humidity has been very stable. Adding eggs tomorrow. Need to get my hatcher built, lol.

Questions: what do you run your humidity at? And at lock down? Are you leaving the plugs in or out ?

Questions: what do you run your humidity at? And at lock down? Are you leaving the plugs in or out ?

I leave the plugs in for the first 3 days. then take them out. Until I candle them I run 35-45% and adjust accordingly based on the air cells. Incubating a little drier really improved my hatch rates last year. I usually run 2-3 incubators and a hatcher, and I experiment as I go along. I wish I could tell you there's an exact formula to incubating OEGB eggs, other than letting your broodies have them, but you have to find what works for you. They're a lot better than we are, but even they seem to have problems with some lines. Also, if they're broody, they're not laying. I tend to let my girls brood towards the end of the season, as I'm winding down.

Last edited:
Wow wish you were closer, I have a cockerel I would gladly sell you for what I paid for him.  I actually ended up with two cockerels and one pullet.  I was down in Florida visiting and found them there.  I was told they were baby guinea..hahahaha  but as they grew well ya they turned into silver duck wings....amazing how that happens....LOL

Yes, amazing. Same happened to me last year! But I only got 1 roo when all were supposed to be hens! Ah well, he's a good boy!

My breeding pair of Blacks, Bonnie and Clyde

And my 2 Creole Hens

I leave the plugs in for the first 3 days. then take them out. Until I candle them I run 35-45% and adjust accordingly based on the air cells. Incubating a little drier really improved my hatch rates last year. I usually run 2-3 incubators and a hatcher, and I experiment as I go along. I wish I could tell you there's an exact formula to incubating OEGB eggs, other than letting your broodies have them, but you have to find what works for you. They're a lot better than we are, but even they seem to have problems with some lines. Also, if they're broody, they're not laying. I tend to let my girls brood towards the end of the season, as I'm winding down.

Sounds about the way I do it, except mine doesn't have any plugs, so I never do any adjustment there.

Back
Top Bottom