Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Well DUH! You'd HAVE to try it!
big_smile.png
I'm not actually planning on hatching until this fall, but forgetting to check under Jace and remove eggs wouldn't hurt... Right??

Then again, I said "NO MORE HATCHING" last fall, and I think my fourth batch since then just finished.
hide.gif

Thank you! I'm going to take a look at mine when I get home and perhaps band them to see if I guess correctly.

Do you happen to know the pattern differences in the crele? They were one of the only varieities that I could have bough sexed, though I went with straight run since a female was $16. I believe it is just pattern sexing, like with the barred variety.

I would think with Creles this would hold true, even more so because of the barring genes. I've never raised Creles, but hopefully will hatch several over the next few weeks.

My Bielefelders and Legbars roos are hatched with white spots on their heads.

Last edited:
I would think with Creles this would hold true, even more so because of the barring genes. I've never raised Creles, but hopefully will hatch several over the next few weeks.

My Bielefelders and Legbars roos are hatched with white spots on their heads.
Ah yes, the head spots. I was hoping that would not apply with these guys. If it does, I think 4 out of 5 are males. I'll have to check again when I get home.

Ah yes, the head spots. I was hoping that would not apply with these guys. If it does, I think 4 out of 5 are males. I'll have to check again when I get home. 

If I remember correctly, the head dots are only indicative of males if the mother is barred (or crele) and the father is solid. Right?

If I remember correctly, the head dots are only indicative of males if the mother is barred (or crele) and the father is solid. Right?
Ah! You're right. Thank goodness. I wonder what else the hatchery is looking at then, when they sell them sexed. I'm pretty sure they aren't vent sexing.

ETA Oh wait nvm. I just remembered the head spot can be used in pure barred rocks and the like, as well. It is something to do with the spot being more clearly defined in one sex. I will have to look it up now.

ETA Again: There is some interesting info here, though not all OEGB specific http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=105920&page=all

Last edited:
Ah! You're right. Thank goodness. I wonder what else the hatchery is looking at then, when they sell them sexed. I'm pretty sure they aren't vent sexing.

ETA Oh wait nvm. I just remembered the head spot can be used in pure barred rocks and the like, as well. It is something to do with the spot being more clearly defined in one sex. I will have to look it up now.

ETA Again: There is some interesting info here, though not all OEGB specific http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=105920&page=all

Oh, that thread is like the genetics thread here. I start reading and the info starts bouncing around in the loose parts of my brain like a ping pong ball.
tongue.png

I love the little noises they make.  Chatter boxes for sure

I think my females are as loud as the males.  Or at least more often vocal.  The boys can belt it out, but the girls talk all the time!  :D

I personally agree some of our hens and pullets are much louder than the boys when they've gotta lay you know it! Lol I love their sweet talkative personalities too :)

ETA Again: There is some interesting info here, though not all OEGB specific http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=105920&page=all

Males can have 2 barred genes, while females can only have one. That double barred gene is what causes the spot in Crele-type birds. Both Bielefelders and Crested Cream Legbars are auto-sexing Crele colored/patterned birds. Males always have a spot on their heads, though some are more pronounced than others.

Hatchery OEGB are a little bigger, which might make them easier to sex.

Last edited:
Males can have 2 barred genes, while females can only have one. That double barred gene is what causes the spot in Crele-type birds. Both Bielefelders and Crested Cream Legbars are auto-sexing Crele colored/patterned birds. Males always have a spot on their heads, though some are more pronounced than others.

Hatchery OEGB are a little bigger, which might make them easier to sex.

Yup, the two genes v one thing is what makes male barred rocks lighter, and why only the male offspring show barring in those solid over barred crossings.

The strange thing is that the LF OEGs don't have the sexed option, but perhaps that is because they don't want people to purposely buy males for fighting or something. Anyway, it looks like (from the thread posted above) the down color in general is different. This drawing shows 2 males and 1 female.

Here is a video of Crele chicks I just found:

Both of my hatchery OEGBs are the same size as both of my breeder OEGBs (well, the male is slightly larger for obvious reasons).

Last edited:
Yup, the two genes v one thing is what makes male barred rocks lighter, and why only the male offspring show barring in those solid over barred crossings. The strange thing is that the LF OEGs don't have the sexed option, but perhaps that is because they don't want people to purposely buy males for fighting or something. Anyway, it looks like (from the thread posted above) the down color in general is different. This drawing shows 2 males and 1 female. Here is a video of Crele chicks I just found:
Both of my hatchery OEGBs are the same size as both of my breeder OEGBs (well, the male is slightly larger for obvious reasons).
Just saw a video that said 80% of Crele OEGB chicks with spots and light color down are males. It'll be interesting to prove out whether that's true or not. I suspect it's closer to 100%. My Creles are tiny little birds. I haven't weighed them yet, but they're small, but solid.
I have 2 roos and 3 hens.

Back
Top Bottom