Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

So a Blue Splash OEGB was hatching and it had trouble getting out so I tried to help it but it still hasn't absorb all of the yolk I basically took his head out. Should I have waited?

How long had it been since it pipped? I usually try to wait close to 24 hours before assisting. It takes those last few hours to fully absorb the yolk.

If it gets out on its own now, be sure its on something soft, so it doesn't rip the yolk open, but it should absorb it within a few hours. Good luck!

How long had it been since it pipped?  I usually try to wait close to 24 hours before assisting.  It takes those last few hours to fully absorb the yolk. 

If it gets out on its own now, be sure its on something soft, so it doesn't rip the yolk open, but it should absorb it within a few hours.  Good luck! 
Not that long. I got to excited and tried to help it. Just went outside and it passed under the broody it was a grayish bluish color. There's still 3 OEGB under here. So far one Silver Sebright & A Silkie

Not that long. I got to excited and tried to help it. Just went outside and it passed under the broody it was a grayish bluish color. There's still 3 OEGB under here. So far one Silver Sebright & A Silkie

Oh, I'm sorry, but it happens. Happened to me yesterday also. I had a cochin pip on the wrong end. I thought it was closing up, so I widened it after about 12 hours, then after 24 hours I widened it some more. Had to leave for a couple hours and when I got home, the chick had spun around and drowned. I guess I jumped the gun, thinking it was stuck and wouldn't rotate. But it did. Still had a little yolk left to absorb also.

Good luck with the broody!

a red Pyle pair, a black beasted red pair, a a white leg horn pair, it's really strange the hens won't breed with any other male except their roo.....they will down right throw down with any other roo....full flare and sparing too...it's funny

oh and my little bb red too

Pretty birds!

Oh, I'm sorry, but it happens.  Happened to me yesterday also.  I had a cochin pip on the wrong end.  I thought it was closing up, so I widened it after about 12 hours, then after 24 hours I widened it some more.  Had to leave for a couple hours and when I got home, the chick had spun around and drowned.  I guess I jumped the gun, thinking it was stuck and wouldn't rotate.  But it did.  Still had a little yolk left to absorb also. 

Good luck with the broody! 
Felt bad about it the whole day, just went to check and there's still on 2. Wonder if they're shrink wrapped. I hope not

Felt bad about it the whole day, just went to check and there's still on 2. Wonder if they're shrink wrapped. I hope not

No idea if that happens with broodies. Maybe they are just slower if she was off them a little. Like with a temp drop in an incubator. I'm super new to broodies, have done all my hatching in an incubator, but having my first girls sitting right now. Maybe someone on the broody threads would have better suggestions/comments.

No idea if that happens with broodies.  Maybe they are just slower if she was off them a little.  Like with a temp drop in an incubator.  I'm super new to broodies, have done all my hatching in an incubator, but having my first girls sitting right now. Maybe someone on the broody threads would have better suggestions/comments. 

This may sound heartless, but with broodies especially, if they're not capable of hatching on their own I don't help them. There's usually a reason, and it seems to me some of those chicks never are strong. They're more susceptible to disease, parasites and other problems ( no scientific proof, just my observation). Everyone here has probably gotten impatient and tried to help too soon.

My exceptions to my above rule. If a chick is has pipped and/or unzipping, is obviously strong (constantly chirping, and moving) but just isn't progressing, I will help. The minute you get to a spot where you notice a lot of blood coming from the membrane, stop and wait. I have actually pipped and egg for a chick, unzipped the top, removed it, and had them pop out like a jack in the box. The more you hatch, the more you can differentiate the ones with a chance vs the list causes. Let the weak ones go. You'll save yourself heartache in the long run.

It's sucks, but we've all done it. I've done it, and have the chicks do well.

Patience is your best friend when hatching. They know when they're ready for the most part. Let them do their thing.

Back
Top Bottom