Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

@TattooedChicks Does it have the upright tail, wings aimed down and shorter legs? I can usually confirm a Japanese chick by only a couple weeks old based on those things. The face does look a bit Japanese but it's hard to say for sure. Where did that chick come from?

Also, what camera do you use?
I'm going to bother all the amazingly experienced and educated folk here about the color of this chick. Based on day old size and down, I'd assumed it was a btw jap. The chick is also a good bit larger than the other known japs, more in line with my OEs. But today I noticed some odd colored feathers sprouting up, though to be honest I thought it was dirt at first!

Anyone know what's going on here?? Is this some crazy colored OE in disguise?
View attachment 1103687 View attachment 1103688 View attachment 1103689

@TattooedChicks Does it have the upright tail, wings aimed down and shorter legs? I can usually confirm a Japanese chick by only a couple weeks old based on those things. The face does look a bit Japanese but it's hard to say for sure. Where did that chick come from?

Also, what camera do you use?
Upright tail, legs aren't very short, wings still hugging the body. I'll try to harass it for another picture.

I got this one from a local hatchery in one of their bantam bins. They have btw and buff japs, this one started the same size as all 3 of the buff japs who have shorter legs.

IMG_0957.JPG IMG_1002.JPG
Same chick last week. Refused to play this morning so I'll try again tonight with some fresh chick mash as a bribe.

Upright tail, legs aren't very short, wings still hugging the body. I'll try to harass it for another picture.

I got this one from a local hatchery in one of their bantam bins. They have btw and buff japs, this one started the same size as all 3 of the buff japs who have shorter legs.

Wish I could help, but I've raised a total of 1 jap. I do know that in OEGB I get a fair amount of variation in leg and back length. A bird with a short back will carry his tail in an extreme upright position, as well as drop his wings too low, covering his legs. In OEGB, it's better to cull those birds, or at least not breed them. Bad form, once set, it hard to correct.

It doesn't come across as Japanese to me. What are the types of bantams they carry (if you know)? I looked again at the new pics of the colors coming in and it reminded me of how my wheaten EE bantams looked.

In the one pic it looks like the legs have a green cast. Is that accurate?

It doesn't come across as Japanese to me. What are the types of bantams they carry (if you know)? I looked again at the new pics of the colors coming in and it reminded me of how my wheaten EE bantams looked.

In the one pic it looks like the legs have a green cast. Is that accurate?
For clean-legged the bulk of what they mostly do is OEGB, then it's Sebrights, Japs, and "Americana" bantams. Everything else is silkies, d'Uccles and Cochins.

EE didn't cross my mind, but I've never seen a bantam one in person yet!

As for the green, maybe like a slight tint coming up on a few leg scales, but mostly an odd yellow.

Back
Top Bottom