61756_p2260018.jpg

Emerald Spalding

61756_sany0069.jpg

61756_sany0067.jpg

Spalding Pied

61756_sany0056.jpg

Purple Black Shoulder Silver Pied

61756_picture_023.jpg

I will post pictures of my Jade Spaldings as soon as i can get pictures of them.
wink.png

Last edited:
My peafowl are finally reproducing. They hatched 4th of July two years ago and were laying this season. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find where the hens are laying. But....I did find a broody peahen's hidden nest in our front pasture and took the four eggs. She had been setting for almost a month, showing up only in the early morning hours to eat and then disappear. It took me forever to find her. She had a nest hidden under a fallen tree in our pecan orchard. I was worried something would get her and the eggs or chicks if I left her so I took them and put them in the incubator. They hatched a few days later. I lost the first little chick but these three are doing well.

peachicks2-1.jpg

peachicks1.jpg

The mama is a purple hen, not sure "Who Da Daddy" - Options are Black Shoulder, Opal, Spaulding.

Hey Deerman, any guesses?

Here's the mama - or at least I'm assuming they were her eggs.

peahen3-1.jpg

Here's my males:

peacock1b-2.jpg

peacock2c-1.jpg

peacock3a-1.jpg

My other females:

peahen2-1.jpg

I did see the white one lay an egg the other day, right by our back door, so I scooped it up and put it in the incubator. Still don't know if it's fertile yet.

peahen1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Cool - thanks. I know my blackshoulder male matured faster than the other other two even though they all hatched the same time.

Again I'm assuming it was the purple peahen's own eggs she was sitting on and I don't have an India Blue male, just the blackshoulder (not sure if that's kind of the same thing) so how would one be an India Blue??? Also, what does split purple mean and/or look like?

If you can't tell, I'm clueless on genetics.

When you have a bunch of different color peafowl together such as you do, most of the chicks you will get will be india blue because blue is the dominate gene, while blackshoulder, purple, and opal are not. So when you breed a blackshoulder male to a purple hen, you will not get purple blackshoulder, you will get blue males that are split purple and blackshoulder, and hens that are blue. If you breed a purple male to a blackshoulder hen you will get blue hens that are split purple and blackshoulder, and blue males. If you breed a purple to a purple you get purple if you breed a blackshoulder to a blackshoulder you get blackshoulder. The best way to explain split is say the india blue chick grows up to be a male, he will be split purple and blackshoulder, now he will look like a normal india blue but will have purple and blackshoulder genes in him. If you take a india blue split purple and breed it to a purple you will get blues and purples. You can have splits in any color except the green birds(java green, burmese green, indo-chinese green) and spalding birds. For example you can have a bronze split pied, or a pied split bronze. The only time you can breed two pure blood birds together and get a different color is when you breed a green peacock/peahen to any other color peacock/peahen. This will produce a spalding. Now your chicks dad would be the blackshoulder due to two of them being blackshoulder, their mom whatever color she is, is split blackshoulder, because thats the only way you could have gotten blackshoulder chicks. If i made any mistakes i'm sure Deerman will correct me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom