Show off your Peas!

How warm is the coup where Emerald is? just curious;)

Between 38• and 40• it is 40• outside so I opened the am coop door. The guineas came boiling out! They went back in as fast as they went out! As soon as their feet touched the snow and ice they chg their mind! The peas never came out! They are under the heat lamps!

Between 38• and 40• it is 40• outside so I opened the am coop door. The guineas came boiling out! They went back in as fast as they went out! As soon as their feet touched the snow and ice they chg their mind! The peas never came out! They are under the heat lamps!

I ckd Emerald's feet again they are fine. He seems to be calming down.

I ckd Emerald's feet again they are fine. He seems to be calming down.

I read that anything below 41 degrees F they need to be protected, also frost bite will not be seen the first day it may takes a few days before you see it depending on the degree of the frost bite
wink.png

From the web

igns and symptoms[edit]

At or below 0 °C (32 °F), blood vessels close to the skin start to constrict, and blood is shunted away from the extremities via the action of glomus bodies. The same response may also be a result of exposure to high winds. This constriction helps to preserve core body temperature. In extreme cold, or when the body is exposed to cold for long periods, this protective strategy can reduce blood flow in some areas of the body to dangerously low levels. This lack of blood leads to the eventual freezing and death of skin tissue in the affected areas. There are four degrees of frostbite. Each of these degrees has varying degrees of pain.[2]
First degree[edit]

This is called frostnip and only affects the surface of the skin, which is frozen. On the onset, there is itching and pain, and then the skin develops white, red, and yellow patches and becomes numb. The area affected by frostnip usually does not become permanently damaged as only the skin's top layers are affected. Long-term insensitivity to both heat and cold can sometimes happen after suffering from frostnip.
Second degree[edit]

If freezing continues, the skin may freeze and harden, but the deep tissues are not affected and remain soft and normal. Second-degree injury usually blisters 1–2 days after becoming frozen. The blisters may become hard and blackened, but usually appear worse than they are. Most of the injuries heal in one month, but the area may become permanently insensitive to both heat and cold.
Third and fourth degrees[edit]

Frostbite 12 days later​
If the area freezes further, deep frostbite occurs. The muscles, tendons, blood vessels, and nerves all freeze. The skin is hard, feels waxy, and use of the area is lost temporarily, and in severe cases, permanently. The deep frostbite results in areas of purplish blisters which turn black and which are generally blood-filled. Nerve damage in the area can result in a loss of feeling. This extreme frostbite may result in fingers and toes being amputated if the area becomes infected with gangrene. If the frostbite has gone on untreated, they may fall off. The extent of the damage done to the area by the freezing process of the frostbite may take several months to assess, and this often delays surgery to remove the dead tissue.[3]

Last edited:
I read that anything below 41 degrees F they need to be protected, also frost bite will not be seen the first day it may takes a few days before you see it depending on the degree of the frost bite;) From the web
igns and symptoms[ edit ]

At or below 0 °C (32 °F), blood vessels close to the skin start to constrict, and blood is shunted away from the extremities via the action of glomus bodies . The same response may also be a result of exposure to high winds. This constriction helps to preserve core body temperature. In extreme cold, or when the body is exposed to cold for long periods, this protective strategy can reduce blood flow in some areas of the body to dangerously low levels. This lack of blood leads to the eventual freezing and death of skin tissue in the affected areas. There are four degrees of frostbite. Each of these degrees has varying degrees of pain.[SUP][2] [/SUP]
First degree[ edit ]

This is called frostnip and only affects the surface of the skin, which is frozen. On the onset, there is itching and pain , and then the skin develops white, red, and yellow patches and becomes numb. The area affected by frostnip usually does not become permanently damaged as only the skin's top layers are affected. Long-term insensitivity to both heat and cold can sometimes happen after suffering from frostnip.
Second degree[ edit ]

If freezing continues, the skin may freeze and harden, but the deep tissues are not affected and remain soft and normal. Second-degree injury usually blisters 1–2 days after becoming frozen. The blisters may become hard and blackened, but usually appear worse than they are. Most of the injuries heal in one month, but the area may become permanently insensitive to both heat and cold.
Third and fourth degrees[ edit ]

Frostbite 12 days later​
If the area freezes further, deep frostbite occurs. The muscles, tendons, blood vessels, and nerves all freeze. The skin is hard, feels waxy, and use of the area is lost temporarily, and in severe cases, permanently. The deep frostbite results in areas of purplish blisters which turn black and which are generally blood-filled. Nerve damage in the area can result in a loss of feeling. This extreme frostbite may result in fingers and toes being amputated if the area becomes infected with gangrene . If the frostbite has gone on untreated, they may fall off. The extent of the damage done to the area by the freezing process of the frostbite may take several months to assess, and this often delays surgery to remove the dead tissue.[SUP][3] [/SUP]
I can tell when the peas are cold they fuzz up their necks. None of my peas are doing this. If their feet get cold the squat and cover them with their bodies! I went into the coop last night when it was 28• and they were standing on the perch not squatting and covering their feet and that includes Emerald.

Yea no matter where you live you got to deal with some kind of disaster and weather that reeks havoc
wink.png
we are lucky to be able to adjust to our environment, many living things like plants would not be able to.

Back
Top Bottom