Show off your Peas!

I love it when non-peafowl people freak out when they find out you have white peafowl. Many people think they are rare.

My white peacock Frosty has started displaying a lot. I keep forgetting to bring the camera.
roll.png

I love it when non-peafowl people freak out when they find out you have white peafowl. Many people think they are rare.

My white peacock Frosty has started displaying a lot. I keep forgetting to bring the camera. :rolleyes:

Its also annoying when they call them albinos, then you have to explain etc...

Gerald Barker

My white peacock Frosty has started displaying a lot. I keep forgetting to bring the camera.
roll.png

I have some fun with that. The one time I went to a drive thru with Ice in my passenger seat because I just got done doing a show with him. The lady freaked out because she watched him turn his head. She didn't think he was real. She had no idea White peafowl exist. I wish I had a Charcoal to freak people out even more. Or any of the other colors that are not IB.
Its also annoying when they call them albinos, then you have to explain etc...

Gerald Barker
X2 Sometimes I enjoy it. Other times it gets annoying. Especially when they try to argue with you and you have the bird right there with you.

X2 Sometimes I enjoy it. Other times it gets annoying. Especially when they try to argue with you and you have the bird right there with you.

I have only had one person argue that with me about whites being albinos and rare. I was at a parrot rescue that has a few free-range peacocks. They had India blue, pieds, and a white. I was telling them that the birds that have splotches of white are called pieds and they were interested in the peafowl info I was telling them since they know all about parrots but not much about peafowl. This lady was visiting them and she evidently owns some parrots. She said something about the white peacock being "so rare" and I said that actually they are just another variety of peafowl and they are not rare. The owner had even told her that I am a peafowl breeder, but she insisted that the white peacock was rare and I didn't know what I was talking about.

I have only had one person argue that with me about whites being albinos and rare. I was at a parrot rescue that has a few free-range peacocks. They had India blue, pieds, and a white. I was telling them that the birds that have splotches of white are called pieds and they were interested in the peafowl info I was telling them since they know all about parrots but not much about peafowl. This lady was visiting them and she evidently owns some parrots. She said something about the white peacock being "so rare" and I said that actually they are just another variety of peafowl and they are not rare. The owner had even told her that I am a peafowl breeder, but she insisted that the white peacock was rare and I didn't know what I was talking about.

That's what I find funny when people say, "It's the rare white/albino peacock." In my area yes they are rare, but in the US not really. When I tell someone to look up a Charcoal, Bronze, or Opal. They are astonished and then ask me why I don't have them and if I know anyone that does. Most non-peafowl people in my area like to call Pieds the "rare white and blue peacock."

Quote:
So far I have not had any dealings with people that tell me I know nothing about peafowl. I research quite often but also forget so much. However, no one in our area acts like they know very much about them. Except for one person who has never owned one in her life but told me to tell gender you look at the crest. If it lays back it is a boy, if it stands up it is a girl. I told her that was a myth and she got all snarky and said her friend raises them and said this was how you tell. I would have liked to have known who that was so I know not to buy anything from them! LOL I wish it were that easy to tell on the peas!

Isn't it fun to listen to people tell you about something that you know it isn't so? It has to make you chuckle.

my pair of blues
and my 7 month old white. Male or female?

Post close up pics if you can get them, neck, legs, and tail feathers so we have a better chance of getting it right. Its still a little young to tell but some here might see something that sticks out. Birdrain92 where are you at? This is your area of expertise.

Gerald Barker

I'll try to get some better pics. It's tail is longer than my blues that are around the same age. I didn't know if that would be a way to tell. Here's a more zoomed in picture

I'll try to get some better pics. It's tail is longer than my blues that are around the same age. I didn't know if that would be a way to tell. Here's a more zoomed in picture

Im leaning towards rooster but still need better pics for confirmation. Birdrain will chime in here soon. Very pretty regardless.

Gerald Barker

Back
Top Bottom