Show off your Peas!

Im leaning towards rooster but still need better pics for confirmation. Birdrain will chime in here soon. Very pretty regardless.

Gerald Barker

One more thing, those suspect birds that you think is going to be a male and at the last minute turns out to be a big female have always turned out to be my best hens.

Gerald Barker

Last edited:
I am thinking the white is a male because the tail (not the train but the tail) has tall middle feathers. If the white is taller/larger looking when it is next to that peahen in the background it probably is a male. Keep an eye on the spurs and the train feathers to be sure. Generally males will grow their spurs in faster and the square shaped train feathers of a young white peacock will get herl - the little stringy bits of feather - on the edges which is a good indication that the bird is a male once that shows up.

I am thinking the white is a male because the tail (not the train but the tail) has tall middle feathers. If the white is taller/larger looking when it is next to that peahen in the background it probably is a male. Keep an eye on the spurs and the train feathers to be sure. Generally males will grow their spurs in faster and the square shaped train feathers of a young white peacock will get herl - the little stringy bits of feather - on the edges which is a good indication that the bird is a male once that shows up.

X2, well said.

Gerald Barker

my pair of blues
and my 7 month old white. Male or female?

I say male. My whites i could tell by 7 mos. You will see the loosely barbed feathers. Seeing the notorious "V" shape in the tail feathers when displaying is another tail tail sign.

I'll try to get some better pics. It's tail is longer than my blues that are around the same age. I didn't know if that would be a way to tell. Here's a more zoomed in picture
I'm going with a male. Those tail feathers are way to steep and tall for a hen. Or at least any hen I've seen. You can also send pictures when his tail is down. Here's some photos to help out. Sorry it took me a while.
See how the webbing of the feather is all wispy? That's a sign for males. Along with the steep tall tail feathers.

Here's White peahen neck feathers. The feather is more solid instead of looking like hair.

Here's a White peacock neck feathers.
Just so you can see better. Indian Blues and Whites' neck feathers are the same structure. See the male is kind of like a hair like quality.

Hen is more solid feather.
Peacock is closest peahen is in the back. Looking at the tail coverts and premature train you can see some differences. Tail coverts are more of a solid feather and not wispy like the premature train on the peacock.
I hope this helps with sexing white peafowl.

I'm going with a male. Those tail feathers are way to steep and tall for a hen. Or at least any hen I've seen. You can also send pictures when his tail is down. Here's some photos to help out. Sorry it took me a while.
LL
See how the webbing of the feather is all wispy? That's a sign for males. Along with the steep tall tail feathers.
LL
Here's White peahen neck feathers. The feather is more solid instead of looking like hair.
LL
Here's a White peacock neck feathers.
LL
Just so you can see better. Indian Blues and Whites' neck feathers are the same structure. See the male is kind of like a hair like quality.
LL
Hen is more solid feather.
LL
Peacock is closest peahen is in the back. Looking at the tail coverts and premature train you can see some differences. Tail coverts are more of a solid feather and not wispy like the premature train on the peacock. I hope this helps with sexing white peafowl.
There you go. Gerald Barker

I used to trust the shape of the tail support fan, to differentiate juvenile males from females, however I have found that it is not always accurate. These are both hens of the same age and one has the nice even round tail fan, while the other has much longer feathers in the center, looking like a males shape. They do not make it easy.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for your example DylansMom.

KsKingBee's sexing method of using the washer and the string was something I tried last year. My result was 50/50 with it. It correctly told me Raptor was a male when he was a young peachick, but it also told me that Flip Flop was a male when she was little and she is a peahen. For all of the people and critters I already knew the sex of and tested it on, it has worked 100%. I might have only tested Flip Flop once. To be sure I tested Raptor at least 2 times at different ages to be sure he was a male. I think it helps when you test them more than once to be sure. I want to try the washer on a string again this year. It is pretty fun.
smile.png

I used to trust the shape of the tail support fan, to differentiate juvenile males from females, however I have found that it is not always accurate. These are both hens of the same age and one has the nice even round tail fan, while the other has much longer feathers in the center, looking like a males shape. They do not make it easy.

I guess there are almost always exceptions to everything. What color are those hens? I would like to say Cameo for the second but just wanted you to tell me.

I guess there are almost always exceptions to everything. What color are those hens? I would like to say Cameo for the second but just wanted you to tell me.
The first is a Purple BS out of a Purple BS Pied daddy, so she is split either Pied or white. The second is questionable, Father was a Cameo Pied WE split to Peach and mom was a Peach. Sometimes she looks Cameo and other times she looks Peach. The orange color shows more in sunlight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom