Show off your Peas!

KsKingBee, very nice looking pair you have. My IB with white so far doesn't express it so "loud" as yours does. Speck of white here,another white feather there but none with a lot of white together in one spot.

Last edited:
KsKingBee, very nice looking pair you have. My IB with white so far doesn't express it so "loud" as yours does. Speck of white here,another white feather there but none with a lot of white together in one spot.

Would you consider this pair as a 'Loud' Pied? I have heard of Pied, Loud Pied, Dark Pied, Silver Pied, (are there others?), but I guess I don't know where or how to make the distinction between them. If there is a place for me to learn the difference could someone point me in that direction.

I have four hatchlings from the pen with this hen hatch out yesterday, I will post pics soon. This young cock is not the dominate cock in that pen, a Pied White Eye is the probable daddy. I have one that is white, (Yay, I got a white, I got a white!), a probable Loud Pied, white wings and dark body, and two that look like a normal IB.

Would you consider this pair as a 'Loud' Pied? I have heard of Pied, Loud Pied, Dark Pied, Silver Pied, (are there others?), but I guess I don't know where or how to make the distinction between them. If there is a place for me to learn the difference could someone point me in that direction.

I have four hatchlings from the pen with this hen hatch out yesterday, I will post pics soon. This young cock is not the dominate cock in that pen, a Pied White Eye is the probable daddy. I have one that is white, (Yay, I got a white, I got a white!), a probable Loud Pied, white wings and dark body, and two that look like a normal IB.

I'm curious to see what answers you get from people. I myself would not consider them loud pied. I was told loud pied had about 50% white and 50% color in big splashy blotches. This is my bird Harley who

I consider a loud pied, he is not silver because he carries only 1 copy of the white eye gene and he does not have the graying/silvering of the body feathers that a silver pied would have.

No.

Do you know what parents these two birds came out of? The four chicks you got out of this pen definitely came from this hen but not necessarily this cock?

Those birds are IB Pied.
For me, there 2 Dark Pied !
Dark Pied use as PHENOTYPE = Pied with no much white feathers .... looks dark !
Dark Pied as GENOTYPE = this bird has 2 genes Pied in his genotype profil .

Last edited:
This boy is quite striking when he flies, the white really flashes! I have high hopes for this pairing.

No.

Do you know what parents these two birds came out of? The four chicks you got out of this pen definitely came from this hen but not necessarily this cock?

I didn't think he had enough white but I am new and still learning. I will try to get another pic from the front, his throat and underbelly is white too.

On the parenting of the two;

The cock is a yearling which is why I don't believe he is a daddy yet. The dominant cock is a Pied white eye in that pen. The fellow that sold this Pied cock to me was more into the story about how 'Lucky Seven' came to be. Luckies mother gave up on the clutch after the fist six were hatched, so the breeder set Lucky in the hatcher and he hatched. The breeder said that he only had IB's and obviously he must have had some Pieds or split to Pied.

The hen pictured is more questionable as the breeder that was selling out, his stories kept changing all the time when talking about the parentage of his birds. Supposedly all his birds were descended from a tri of Cameos his wife bought for him out of Missouri many years ago. He was in a quandary as to why he even had Pieds and Black Shoulder birds at all. I gave up on trying to make any sense of what he was telling me. However the hen was in a breeding pen with the Pied White Eye (not pictured) and I believe that she is of breeding age by looking at her spurs and that she droops her wings in the evening before and after laying time. I did catch her breeding once.

I would not say the chicks are definitely from this hen but it is a pretty good chance of either her or Cameo hens from the same source.

Back
Top Bottom