Show off your Peas!

Genetically speaking, what is Thang supposed to be Genotype-wise? He is the lightest dark pied I've ever seen, with no silvering I would have thought Pied White Eye, but not Dark pied???? And lets face it everyone loves Twinkies, just look at the national panic that ensued when Hostess shut down, they were selling for $40 a box on ebay!
lau.gif
I DO NOT LIKE TWINKIES
sickbyc.gif
but i love Thang cream filling and all, so you hush up Frenchy

Zaz, Dylansmom,New2,,you all 3 in a conspiracy to make Thang some sort of legend,or icon in the pea world? I go out tonight to collect eggs from his pen and all he does is pace the fence,,kinda like he wanted out but had no idea what he would do when he did get out. Thang doesn't think or process information much past his beak. Dylansmom,Thang originated in the great state of Iowa. Bought him off e-bay as a group of hatching eggs from Park Hollow Exotics labeled as an emerald pied spalding,,he has no spalding showing anywhere. I fancy his dark pied as the only pigmented feathers he does have is black ones,not gray or silver looking at all. He has a few on each side on his wing coverts. Thang belongs in the Jerry Springer Society of peas. His below average liking for humans,little interaction with anything much more than the food bowl,and just plain bat cr-p craziness leads me to think he is severly inbred.

Last edited:
"Last year I hatched out several of these offspring but this year so far none have hatched. That is what I get for improving the quality of food, I guess. The IBs and silver pied are hatching and I finally got my first Purple project hatching. I guess I can't have everything."
WestKnollAmy can you elaborate on your above statement about changing feed now causing you poor hatchrates?

What if you have separate enclosure for chickens and you don't let them free range? And, you have them on a worming schedule with safeguard, is it safe to have chickens and peas on the same property?
We have the peas in a 16X16 outer enclosure attached to an inside 10X8 enclosure which is just under half of the chicken coop, and inside they are only separated from the chickens by chicken wire. The chickens free range. We've had no problems and they all interact thru the outer fence all the time. They're very interested in each other. Of course we keep very close eye on them. and as soon as anyone looks/acts sick we take action.

So it can be done. I have to be honest and say they're not on a regular worming or antibiotic cycle, neither are the chickens. we just don't let them share ground. Once a chicken hen got into the peafowl pen over night and once all the chickens got in there for a few hours cuz a door was left open... both times we treated the peafowl incase the chickens had brought in black head, but neither time did anything happen.

"Last year I hatched out several of these offspring but this year so far none have hatched. That is what I get for improving the quality of food, I guess. The IBs and silver pied are hatching and I finally got my first Purple project hatching. I guess I can't have everything."
WestKnollAmy can you elaborate on your above statement about changing feed now causing you poor hatchrates?

or do you think its just a bad year for chicks? I've heard several people say the chicks grew fine and just never hatched, and not just with peafowl eggs this year... just thinking maybe the harsh winter and -20 - -30 degree temps affected the birds like it affected the plants... am I the only one seeing a connection?

I have noticed the same thing. My plants are so off this year. As are my peafowl one of my 2 year old males is losing his feathers already. I just wonder if there is a connection?

I have noticed the same thing. My plants are so off this year. As are my peafowl one of my 2 year old males is losing his feathers already. I just wonder if there is a connection?

As beekeepers we are very in tune to plant blooming times. Yes this is a very off year, most everything in our area is at least two weeks late to bloom. Even the normal temperatures are building later than normal and plants are maturing later causing the bloom time to be late.

My green peacock just lost his tail Yesterday without getting any green chicks this year.

or do you think its just a bad year for chicks? I've heard several people say the chicks grew fine and just never hatched, and not just with peafowl eggs this year... just thinking maybe the harsh winter and -20 - -30 degree temps affected the birds like it affected the plants... am I the only one seeing a connection?

I think it is just an off year. So far we are doing okay with our hatching, but I have had more clears this year than is normal and I have 1 hen who laid fine last year, but not a single egg from her this year. Lots of irregular laying as well, the every other day thing is out the door this year.
hu.gif
Curious to see if it affects the molting times.

Back
Top Bottom