Show off your Peas!

So if she just has the white throat patch, she's dark pied right? What about white flights?

I would think you'd get Opal B/S, Opal split B/S, Opal split Pied? You need one copy of pied from each parents to have pied, right?

Went out before dark to "pea bond",,(similiar to "pair bonding") and looked at her,she does have white flights.I don't think birds with only a white throat patch are dark pieds as I have 2 silver pied hens with white necks all the way down. And I don't know that it takes both parents to be pied to pass it along,,,,I had a 'Thang" chick that left this weekend with a white throat patch,,niether of the IB hen with Thang is pied,only him.

But is Silver Pied different because they have copies of Pied, White, and White-eyed? Maybe split to pied birds have white throat patches and white flights too? Man genetics are complex.

Some birds that are split to white will also have white throat patches. A bird that is only carrying one copy of pied and no white or white eyed will not show any signs of carrying pied. Only breeding that bird to white will determine that it is carrying pied.

Dark pieds carry the gene but do not show it as far as color goes, when bred to another pied or white you can get more pieds and whites and regular IB but i do not know what the percentage.

My pied male came from parents that have no white at all.

Well I found a local lady that has alot of peafowl and not just blue she has Black Shouldered and white. She decided to let me take all her Black shouldered because she wants to focus on pied and white. There is a pair of last years birds, two 5 year old hens, a young bird that appears to be a hen from this year and two that are just about a month old . Funny thing is she swears to me the one year old male was born the same color as an india blue and not yellow but she also said the two white chicks in the pictures dad was a black shouldered and the mom was a blue so she swears to me they have to be black shouldered when there is no buff coloring on them whatsoever so I am pretty sure they are going to be white.....

Mmmaddie13, to get a pied bird 2 genes are involved. A white gene and a pied gene.The pied allele is opposite the white allele.If you breed pied to pied you will get 25% white,50% pieds and 25% dark pieds.Breeding pieds to whites will give you a 50% split of either color.But whatever color the bird shows is 100% genetypical of what it is. Breeding a pied to dark pied also results in a 50% split of birds.

Well I found a local lady that has alot of peafowl and not just blue she has Black Shouldered and white. She decided to let me take all her Black shouldered because she wants to focus on pied and white. There is a pair of last years birds, two 5 year old hens, a young bird that appears to be a hen from this year and two that are just about a month old . Funny thing is she swears to me the one year old male was born the same color as an india blue and not yellow but she also said the two white chicks in the pictures dad was a black shouldered and the mom was a blue so she swears to me they have to be black shouldered when there is no buff coloring on them whatsoever so I am pretty sure they are going to be white.....

Very pretty, i bet they love all the room they have.

Back
Top Bottom