Show off your Silkies!

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by chicken4prez, Feb 22, 2016.

1. tootsiechicken

tootsiechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2015

Neither of her parents with that color, though. [​IMG]

2. tootsiechicken

Jul 10, 2015
    I think she's too light to be porcelain. Perhaps the rooster is a blue cream? But then he has some splash looking stuff too. See? I just can't seem to figure these two out. Hmmm...

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    What color were they?

4. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Porcelains range a lot in color. I've seen them almost white with a little buff and lavender and really dark (and porcelain is *self* blue (lavender) cream, in Silkies, anyway :) ).

5. tootsiechicken

Jul 10, 2015

Oh, okay! Thank you soooo much! I just need a little clarification on what you mean by "and porcelain is *self* blue (lavender) cream".

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. :)

6. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    We are new to chickens and we have one Silkie! I have no idea what kind of Silkie, other than she is black. My 5 year old have to have her. She is almost 11 weeks old. Named "Ole 5 Toes" She is really sweet and relaxed. I'm assuming she is a she, but I really dont know for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. tootsiechicken

Jul 10, 2015

I'm not entirely sure. I think that maybe the mother was a paint, but I know that they are not the colors that you mentioned. :)

8. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    We are new to chickens and we have one Silkie! I have no idea what kind of Silkie, other than she is black. My 5 year old have to have her. She is almost 11 weeks old. Named "Ole 5 Toes" She is really sweet and relaxed. I'm assuming she is a she, but I really dont know for sure. [​IMG] [​IMG] [/quot Ya that's a hen but she looks the be a beared black silkie hen

9. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    In other breeds, like D'uccles, porcelain is its own color. It's millie fleur diluted with lavender. In Silkies, the breeder that originally started the project wanted to call them porcelain. However, porcelain requires the mottled gene, and Silkies lack that, so there was a bit of hub bub on porcelain in Silkies. The last I'd heard, everyone had agreed to call it self blue cream instead. Self blue is lavender (very different from blue, black and splash). So, in Silkies, when someone refers to porcelain and self blue cream, they are the same color. Hope that helps some :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  10. tootsiechicken

Jul 10, 2015

Ohhhh!! Thank you SO much! That makes so much more sense! Thank you!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by